1. The __________ approach is the ethical concept that moral behaviors produce the greatest good for the greatest number.
2. Good listeners exhibit all of the following characteristics EXCEPT
a. tolerates bad habits.
b. having preconceptions.
c. asking questions.
d. judges content, not delivery errors.
e. all of the above.
3. _____________ refers to unintentional discrimination.
a. pay equity
b. disparate treatment
c. none of the above refer to unintentional discrimination
d. sexual harassment
e. adverse impact
4. Under conditions of __________, statistical analyses are useful.
5. Direct supervision is most effective for which type of control?
6. When Coca-Cola introduced Surge, a new citrus soft-drink, it was pursuing a
a. business-level strategy.
b. multi-domestic strategy.
c. retrenchment strategy.
d. functional-level strategy.
e. corporate-level strategy.
7. __________ is the belief by individuals that their future is not within their control but rather is influenced by external forces.
a. Internal locus of control
b. Deferred locus of control
c. Tolerance for ambiguity
d. Awareness of passing time
e. External locus of control
8. Economic development that generates wealth and meets the needs of their current generation while focusing on future generations is often labeled __________.
a. market strategy
b. ethical management
d. activist strategy
e. future management
9. __________ is NOT a contingency factor that influences an organization's structure.
a. Competitor's structure
e. Production technology
10. The principle that similar activities in an organization should be grouped together under one manager is the essence of the classical perspective known as
a. division of work.
b. unity of direction.
c. quality management.
d. unity of command.
e. scalar chain.
11. According to stages of diversity awareness, which of the following represents the highest level of awareness?
c. Minimizing differences
12. Which of the following is NOT included in the model of personal moral development described in your text?
a. Conventional level
b. Preconventional level
c. Principled level
d. Postconventional level
e. All of the above are included in the model
13. The __________ plans future investments in major assets to be depreciated over several years.
a. balance sheet budget
b. profit budget
c. revenue budget
d. cash budget
e. capital budget
14. __________ is also referred to as work specialization.
a. Scalar chain
b. Network approach
c. Division of labor
d. Unity of command
e. Esprit de corps
15. Before opening his own business, Tanaka was writing a report that details the specifics of his ideas and future business operations. This document is known as
a. a business plan.
b. a mission statement.
c. a business portfolio.
d. a competitive analysis.
e. a SWOT analysis.
16. The __________ approach defines how a decision-maker should make decisions.
17. Which of the following is a functional manager?
a. Project manager
b. Executive Vice-president
d. Financial Vice-president
e. All of the above
18. Which of these refers to the set of characteristics that underlie a relatively stable pattern of behavior in response to ideas, objects, or people in the environment?
a. Halo effect
19. Rudy is looking for ways to increase the number of different tasks that an employee performs without increasing task complexity. He should try
a. job lay-off.
b. job simplification.
c. job rotation.
d. job enlargement.
e. job enrichment.
20. For a widget manufacturing company, worker-hours per widget is a measure of
a. organizational structure.
b. organizational effectiveness.
c. organizational efficiency.
d. organizational performance.
e. none of the above.
21. __________ represent plans developed at the organization's lower levels that specify action steps toward achieving operational goals and that support tactical planning activities.
a. Supervisory plans
b. Strategic plans
c. Operational plans
d. Tactical plans
e. Organizational plans
22. __________ is an advantage of the divisional structure.
a. There is no competition for corporate resources
b. Concern for customers' needs is high
c. There is good coordination across divisions
d. Top management retains tight control of the organization
e. There is little duplication of services across divisions
23. When Jared Andersen of CommuniCom, Inc. created smaller, more independent maintenance units, he was performing the function of
d. human relations skills.
24. Which of these is a method of management whereby managers and employees define goals for every department, project, and person and use them to monitor subsequent performance?
a. Management by objectives
b. Mission development
c. Goal setting
d. Vision development
e. Organizational planning
25. Which of these refers to a clearly defined line of authority in the organization that includes all employees?
a. Division of labor
b. Work specialization
c. Scalar principle
d. Span of management
e. Unity of command
26. What dimension of the general environment includes federal, state, and local government regulations?
27. __________ goals lead to the attainment of __________ goals, which in turn lead to the attainment of __________ goals.
a. Strategic, tactical, operational
b. Operational, tactical, strategic
c. Tactical, operational, strategic
d. Operational, strategic, tactical
e. None of the above.
28. An ethnocentric perspective leads to
b. a monoculture.
c. diversity in the workplace.
d. a global perspective.
29. __________ refers to work behavior that goes beyond job requirements and contributes as needed to the organization's success.
a. Cognitive dissonance
b. Job satisfaction
c. Organizational citizenship
d. Job involvement
e. Organizational Commitment
30. The process of globalization typically passes through all of the following stages EXCEPT
a. global stage.
b. multinational stage.
c. international stage.
d. domestic stage.
e. interdomestic stage.
31. Frank Gilbreth felt that efficiency equated with __________.
a. scientific management
b. procedures and policies
c. one best way to do work
d. leadership flows from the top down
32. What are the two principal advantages of forming a corporation?
a. Unlimited liability and potential conflicts with partners
b. Continuity and limits on owner's liability
c. Unlimited liability and continuity
d. Continuity and non-tax structure
e. Freedom from debt and relatively simple structure
33. What is force field analysis?
a. The analysis of the forces that drive the organization of a company
b. The analysis of the forces that drive customers to a certain organization
c. The process by which an organization forces changes to occur
d. The process of determining which forces drive and which resist a proposed change
e. None of the above
34. All of the following are types of corporate cultures except
a. adaptability culture.
b. consistency culture.
c. achievement culture.
d. involvement culture.
e. clan culture.
35. Diversification is usually associated with the grand strategy of
a. external growth.
e. internal growth.
36. __________ refers to a formal team composed of employees from about the same hierarchical level but from different areas of expertise.
a. A special-purpose team
b. A self-managed team
c. A vertical team
d. A diagonal team
e. A horizontal team
37. Which of these uses formal bargaining to win acceptance and approval of a desired change?
c. Top management support
38. Referent power depends on the leader's
a. formal title.
c. personal characteristics.
d. position in the hierarchy.
e. reward power.
39. A __________ leader is one who has the ability to motivate subordinated to transcend their expected performance
40. The ___________ involves whether putting effort into a task will lead to high performance.
a. O -> V expectancy
b. A -> Z expectancy
c. E -> P expectancy
d. P -> O expectancy
e. V -> P expectancy
41. White Cotton Corporation has a finance department, a marketing department, and a production department. White Cotton
a. uses a matrix structure.
b. has a geographic structure.
c. uses a functional structure.
d. uses a divisional structure.
e. uses product-based structure.
42. Which of the following does NOT pertain to teams?
a. Specific team vision or purpose
b. Teams have individual and mutual accountability
c. Collective work products
d. Teams have a designated strong leader
e. All of the above pertain to teams
43. Austria's cultural preference is for achievement, heroism, assertiveness, and material success. This would be considered
e. power distance.
44. Which of these is considered a decision that enables an individual or company to benefit at society's expense?
a. An economic responsibility
b. An unethical behavior
c. A legal behavior
d. A responsible behavior
e. A discretionary responsibility
45. Which of these defines culture?
a. The set of key values, beliefs, understandings, and norms shared by members of an organization
b. A narrative based on true events that is repeated frequently and shared by organizational employees
c. An object, act, or event that conveys meaning to others
d. The ability to speak different languages
e. None of the above
46. According to McClelland, a high need for __________ is associated with successful attainment of top levels in the organizational hierarchy.
47. __________ is a listing of job duties and desirable qualifications for a particular job.
a. A job listing
b. A job description
c. A job analysis
d. A job requirement
e. A realistic job previews
48. __________ is a ratio that measures the firm's internal performance with respect to key activities defined by management.
a. A liquidity ratio
b. Profit margin on sales
c. A current ratio
d. Return on total assets
e. An activity ratio
49. One of your fellow team members at work is continually disrupting the team's work with jokes and general horseplay. You hope that by ignoring him he will stop this senseless behavior. You are attempting to use which reinforcement tool?
a. Positive reinforcement
b. Desired behavior is reinforced annually
c. Avoidance learning
e. Negative reinforcement
50. The basic philosophy of control at Calendar Days, Inc. is based on the policies found in the employee handbook, as well as a strict hierarchy of authority. This philosophy is consistent with
a. bureaucratic control.
b. culture control.
c. bottom-up control.
d. decentralized control.
e. clan control.