← Therapy Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Dream Analysis
- Systematic Desensitization
- Carl Rogers (1902-1987)
- Latent Content
- Active Listening (also caleld Reflective listening)
- a Type of behavioral therapy. Involves teaching the client to replace the feelings of anxiety with relaxation. Used to treat specific phobias.
- b Used to uncover unconscious conflicts. Ask their patients to describe their dreams. Since the go's defenses are relaxed during sleep, they hope the dreams will help the therapist see what is at the root of the patient's problem.
- c A term used by psychoanalysts when using dream analysis in order to uncover unconscious conflicts. Revealed only as a result of a therapist's interpretive work.
- d Technique used in non-directive client-centered therapy. Would not tell their clients what to do but, rather, would seek to help the clietns choose a course of action for themselves.
- e Created client-centered therapy, also known as person-centered therapy. Hinges on the therapist providing the client with what Rogers termed unconditional positive regard.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Humanistic therapies that focus on helping clients achieve a subjectively meaningful perception of their lives. See clients' difficulties as caused by the clients having lost or failed to develoop a sense of their lives' purpose. Seek to support clients and help them formulate a vision of their lives as worthwhile.
- In the course of therapy, patients begin to have strong feelings toward their therapists.
- Psychologists who have been influenced by Freud's work but have significantly modified his original theory.
- Important element of client-centered therapy developed by Carl Rogers. Blanket acceptance and support of a person regardless of what the person says or does.
- Therapeutic technique developed by Sigmund Freud. This type of theorists views the cause of disorders as unconscious conflicts. May use free association, dream analysis.
5 True/False Questions
Antipsychotic Drugs → Type of somatic therapy used to treat schizophrenia. Thorazine or Haldol. Function by blocking the receptor sites for dopamine.
Free Association → Used to uncover unconscious conflicts. Ask their patients to describe their dreams. Since the go's defenses are relaxed during sleep, they hope the dreams will help the therapist see what is at the root of the patient's problem.
Counterconditioning → Type of behavioral therapy. Pairs a habit a person wished to break with an unpleasant stimulus.
Psychotherapy → Developed by Fritz Perls. Emphasize the importance of the whole and encourage their clients to get in touch with their whole selves.
Somatic Treatments → Therapies that produce bodily changes.