5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Group Therapy
- Latent Content
- Psychodynamic Theorists
- Somatic Treatments
- a A term used by psychoanalysts when using dream analysis in order to uncover unconscious conflicts. Revealed only as a result of a therapist's interpretive work.
- b Psychologists who have been influenced by Freud's work but have significantly modified his original theory.
- c Type of behavioral therapy. Involves having the client address the most frightening scenario first. Produces tremendous anxiety.
- d Medical treatments for psychological disorders, including drug treatment (psychopharmacology), psychosurgery, and electroconvulsive shock therapy.
- e Famiyl therapy is one common use of this.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Type of behavioral therapy. Involves teaching the client to replace the feelings of anxiety with relaxation. Used to treat specific phobias.
- Therapeutic technique developed by Sigmund Freud. This type of theorists views the cause of disorders as unconscious conflicts. May use free association, dream analysis.
- An example of this is attributing failures to internal, global, and permanent aspects of the self.
- Combines the ideas and techniques of cognitive and behavioral psychologists. One example is rational emotive behavior therapy, developed by Albert Ellis. Therapists look to expose and confront the dysfunctional thoughts of their clients.
- Using drugs to treat psychological disorders. The most common type of somatic therapy.
5 True/False Questions
Dream Analysis → Used to uncover unconscious conflicts. Ask their patients to describe their dreams. Since the go's defenses are relaxed during sleep, they hope the dreams will help the therapist see what is at the root of the patient's problem.
Token Economy → A term used by psychoanalysts when using dream analysis in order to uncover unconscious conflicts. Revealed only as a result of a therapist's interpretive work.
Antidepressant Drugs → Type of somatic therapy used to treat anxiety disorders. Act by depressing the activity of the central nervous system, making people feel more relaxed. Barbiturates (Miltown) and benzodiazepines (Xanax and Valium).
Cognitive Therapy for Depression → Locate the cause of psychological problems in the way people think. Concentrate on changing unhealthy thought patterns. Involves challenging the irrational thinking patterns of patients.
Psychosurgery → Refers to all forms of talk therapy. This is not the same as psychoanalysis, a specific kind of therapy pioneered by Sigmund Freud.