5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Treaty of Rome
- Solidarity Trade Union
- Deutsche Mark
- a Pact, created in 1957, that set up the European Economic Community
- b social process of adopting (or being forced to adopt) the policies and practices of Joseph Stalin
- c The Soviet Bloc's first independent trade union that was non-communist controlled. Tried to change things using civil resistance. Union was outlawed but the government eventually negotiated with it and later a Solidarity dominated coalition government was put in place.
- d formerly the unit of money in Germany
- e The east german Ministry for State Security. Regarded as one of the most effective, repressive intelligence and secret police agencies in the world.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- used hard work and the Marshall plan to rebuild economy, management and labor work together to avoid social conflict
- social process of neutralizing the influence of Joseph Stalin by revising his policies and removing monuments dedicated to him and renaming places named in his honor
- This Polish Pope brought the world's attention to the solidarity movement of the Polish, calling for human rights. He became a hero of the Polish nation.
- An association of Western European nations agreeing to favor each other in respect to tariffs. Members were Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Austria, Portugal, Switzerland, and Great Britain. Sometimes referred to as the Outer Seven-i.e., outside the Common Market; formed in 1959.
- laborers and students unite all over world to protest against: opposition to Vietnam, civil liberties, anti-racism, pro-feminism, pro-ecological movement, and anti-nuclear weapons. IN FRANCE, it was high point of youth culture—nationwide strike. Broken by de gaulle with promised elections and wage increases
5 True/False Questions
France's Fourth and Fifth Republics → Fourth Republic founded in 1945; General de Gaulle comes back to power at the urging of the French military, establishing France's Fifth Republic.
Lech Walesa → separated East and West Berlin built by East Germany in 1961 to keep citizens from escaping to the West
Lenin Shipyards in Gdansk → Large Polish shipyard located in Gdansk. Solidarity was founded there. Sight of first successful protests led by Lech Walesa.
Fall of the Wall → The removal of the wall that separated East and West Germany in 1989. Symbolized the end of the Cold War.
Bosnia-Herzegovina → Bosnia secedes and becomes independent in 1992. Bosnian Serbs with support of Milosevic began Ethnic Cleansing, killing Catholic Croats and Muslim Bosnians. Not quite genocide, but close. Serbs began shelling Sarajevo which lasted 3 years. (7,000 muslims illed in UN "Safe Haven" Srebrenica, 1995).