5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Britain's Labour reforms
- Lech Walesa
- Pope John Paul II
- a (military) containing something or someone
- b Dictator of Romania; rejected reforms in Eastern Europe; demise occured over a time of about 2 weeks(1989)- began with Timisoara, later bood off stage in middle of speech, he and wife tried to escape but captured by army on Dec. 22, ended with Dec. 25 he & his wife were tried and executed.
- c labor party instated cradle-to-the-grave (expensive) welfare state. Nationalized the Bank of England, coal, steel, transportation, and utilities industry
- d This Polish Pope brought the world's attention to the solidarity movement of the Polish, calling for human rights. He became a hero of the Polish nation.
- e A Polish politician, a former trade union and human rights activist, and also a former electrician. He co-founded Solidarity, the Soviet bloc's first independent trade union, won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1983, and served as President of Poland from 1990 to 1995.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Work patterns and social expectations of women changed dramatically after WWII; women begin to assume larger economic and political roles.
- a policy initiated by Mikhail Gorbachev that involved restructuring of the social and economic status quo in communist Russia towards a market based economy and society
- The communist USSR run sector of Germany, smaller than West Germany
- separated East and West Berlin built by East Germany in 1961 to keep citizens from escaping to the West
- This period began with high economic growth and soaring prosperity, but ended with a much weaker Soviet Union facing social, political, and economic stagnation. The average annual income stagnated, because needed economic reforms were never fully carried out.
5 True/False questions
Stasi → The east german Ministry for State Security. Regarded as one of the most effective, repressive intelligence and secret police agencies in the world.
Muslim immigrants in Europe → cause ethnic problems. Many people refuse to accept them into society and they do not adapt to European culture. Led to rise of extremist groups that are anti-muslims as well as Muslim terrorist groups against Europeans.
General Jaruzelski → Dictator of Romania; rejected reforms in Eastern Europe; demise occured over a time of about 2 weeks(1989)- began with Timisoara, later bood off stage in middle of speech, he and wife tried to escape but captured by army on Dec. 22, ended with Dec. 25 he & his wife were tried and executed.
European Economic Community or "Common Market" → An economic organization of European states set up by the Treaties of ROME in March 1957. Its member states agreed to coordinate their economic policies, and to establish common policies for agriculture, transport, the movement of capital and labor, the erection of common external tariffs, and the ultimate establishment of political unification.
Treaty of Rome → advocated a policy of support for "free people who are resisting attempted subjugation by armed minorities or by outside pressures"