5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- West Germany (FRG)
- Solidarity Trade Union
- Berlin Blockade
- Women in W. Europe
- a East German dictator from 1971 to 1989 that ruled with an iron fist, secret police and refusal of reforms; in 1989, his economic policies cause a mass East German migration through Hungary to get to West Germany, which caused him to open borders with West Germany
- b purpose was to drive the Western powers out of Berlin
- c Originally there were 3 sectors (French, British, and US) they all combined to form one democratic sector
- d The Soviet Bloc's first independent trade union that was non-communist controlled. Tried to change things using civil resistance. Union was outlawed but the government eventually negotiated with it and later a Solidarity dominated coalition government was put in place.
- e Work patterns and social expectations of women changed dramatically after WWII; women begin to assume larger economic and political roles.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The communist USSR run sector of Germany, smaller than West Germany
- labor party instated cradle-to-the-grave (expensive) welfare state. Nationalized the Bank of England, coal, steel, transportation, and utilities industry
- Soviet Union and its allies had the right to intervene in any socialist country whenever they saw the need
- An economic organization of European states set up by the Treaties of ROME in March 1957. Its member states agreed to coordinate their economic policies, and to establish common policies for agriculture, transport, the movement of capital and labor, the erection of common external tariffs, and the ultimate establishment of political unification.
- This Polish Pope brought the world's attention to the solidarity movement of the Polish, calling for human rights. He became a hero of the Polish nation.
5 True/False Questions
Lenin Shipyards in Gdansk → cause ethnic problems. Many people refuse to accept them into society and they do not adapt to European culture. Led to rise of extremist groups that are anti-muslims as well as Muslim terrorist groups against Europeans.
Berlin Wall → separated East and West Berlin built by East Germany in 1961 to keep citizens from escaping to the West
Lech Walesa → separated East and West Berlin built by East Germany in 1961 to keep citizens from escaping to the West
Vaclav Havel → separated East and West Berlin built by East Germany in 1961 to keep citizens from escaping to the West
Gorbachev → Soviet statesman and premier who denounced stalin (1894-1971)