5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- neural activation
- aversive; pleasant
- operant conditioning
- neurotransmitters and depression
- a Positive punishment is the introduction of an __________ stimulus following a behavior and negative punishment is the withdrawal of a ________ stimulus following a behavior.
- b A psychologist working from the biological perspective would be most interested in conducting research on the relationship between
- c Which theory suggests that dreams are mental responses to random bursts of neural stimulation?
- d According to Erikson, trust is to infancy as identity is to
- e Children often learn to associate pushing a vending machine button with the delivery of a candy bar. This best illustrates the process underlying
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- After he was spanked on several occasions for spilling his milk at a restaurant, Colin became afraid to go to the restaurant. In this case, spanking was a(n) _______ for Colin's fear.
- The classic gate-control theory suggests that pain is experienced when small nerve fibers activate and open a neural gate in the
- After Kato's serious motorcycle accident, doctors detected damage to his cerebellum. Kato is most likely to have difficulty
- Research participants are randomly assigned to different groups in an experiment in order to
- Evolutionary psychology studies the evolution of behavior and the mind using principles of
5 True/False Questions
effortful processing → A brief electrical charge that travels down the axon of a neuron is called the
perceptual constancy → Perceiving objects as unchanging even as illumination and retinal images change is known as
myelin sheath → The speed at which a neural impulse travels is increased when the axon is encased by a(n)
REM sleep → Mason, a stockbroker, runs two miles every day after work because it reduces his level of stress. Mason's running habit is maintained by a ________ reinforcer
cognition → Which term refers to all the mental activities associated with thinking, knowing, remembering, and communicating?