5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- John Adams
- Sedition Act
- George Washington
- excise tax
- Jay's Treaty
- a Made it a crime to criticize the government or government officials. Opponents claimed that it violated citizens' rights to freedom of speech and freedom of the press, gauranteed by the First Amednment.
- b Was made up by John Jay. It said that Britain was to pay for Americans ships that were seized in 1793. It said that Americans had to pay British merchants debts owed from before the revolution and Britain had agreed to remove their troops from the Ohio Valley
- c America's first Vice-President and second President. Sponsor of the American Revolution in Massachusetts, and wrote the Massachusetts guarantee that freedom of press "ought not to be restrained."
- d Virginian, patriot, general, and president. Lived at Mount Vernon. Led the Revolutionary Army in the fight for independence. First President of the United States.
- e a tax that is measured by the amount of business done (not on property or income from real estate)
5 Multiple choice questions
- This meant that the federal government would pay off its debs at face value, plus accumulated interest which at the time had a total of $54 million. This included the federal government taking on the debts by the states and paying for it as a country. Hamilton's establishment of this act gave the country much needed unity because it brought the states together under the centralized government. This made paper money essentially useless do to inflation.
- A young, French diplomat that was sent to win American support.
- the French king who gave money and troops to help the patriots
- American general during the American Revolution (1745-1796)
- Treaty made after the Battle of Fallen Timbers in which the Native-Americans surrendered their homelands in what is now Ohio. Took almost all of the Ohio away from the Native-Americans.
5 True/False questions
Pickney's Treaty → Was made up by John Jay. It said that Britain was to pay for Americans ships that were seized in 1793. It said that Americans had to pay British merchants debts owed from before the revolution and Britain had agreed to remove their troops from the Ohio Valley
Neutrality Proclamation → the United States would not support either side in the war and Americans could not aid either Britain or France
Charles Talleyrand → native american leader who led native american confederacy against americans in the Battle of Falledn Timbers, chieftain of the miami tribe
Alexander Hamilton → Delegate to the Constitutional Convention and leader of the Federalists; first secretary of the treasury.
XYZ Affair → France and England start to seize American ships; starts an "unofficial war" between America and France; Causes the creation of 33 ships for a navy and ends long treaty with France