← Chapter 10 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Louis XVI
- Neutrality Proclamation
- Alexander Hamilton
- Farewell Address
- Convention of 1800
- a Agreement which freed America from its alliance with France, forgave French $20 million in damages and resulted in Adams' losing a second term as president
- b the French king who gave money and troops to help the patriots
- c the United States would not support either side in the war and Americans could not aid either Britain or France
- d Delegate to the Constitutional Convention and leader of the Federalists; first secretary of the treasury.
- e Referred to as Washington's Farewell Address. Its main points included: assuming leadership in the Western Hemisphere, developing its own trade, and not entering into permanent alliances with foreign nations, especially with Europe.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A place where all the tax money would go, money would be printed, loans issued, and loans regulated.
- In 1789 Congress passed this Act which created the federal-court system. The act managed to quiet popular apprehensions by establishing in each state a federal district court that operated according to local procedures.
- French foreign minister; the xyz affair
- Virginian, patriot, general, and president. Lived at Mount Vernon. Led the Revolutionary Army in the fight for independence. First President of the United States.
- Laws in which residence before citizenship changed from five years to fourteen, and the President was given power to deport (in times of peace) or imprison (in times of war) dangerous immigrants
5 True/False Questions
funding at par → This meant that the federal government would pay off its debs at face value, plus accumulated interest which at the time had a total of $54 million. This included the federal government taking on the debts by the states and paying for it as a country. Hamilton's establishment of this act gave the country much needed unity because it brought the states together under the centralized government. This made paper money essentially useless do to inflation.
Virginia and Kentucky Resolutions → These documents drafted by James Madison and Thomas Jefferson claimed that the Alien and Sedition Acts violated the U.S. Constitution. These resolutions affirmed the principle of states' rights
Jay's Treaty → Was made up by John Jay. It said that Britain was to pay for Americans ships that were seized in 1793. It said that Americans had to pay British merchants debts owed from before the revolution and Britain had agreed to remove their troops from the Ohio Valley
John Jay → United States diplomat and jurist who negotiated peace treaties with Britain and served as the first chief justice of the United States Supreme Court (1745-1829)
Bill of Rights → the historic period (1793-94) during the French Revolution when thousands were executed