5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Whiskey Rebellion
- Battle of Fallen Timbers
- Judiciary Act of 1789
- Edmond Genet
- John Jay
- a Post-revolution war, British instigate Native American attacks, but "Mad" Anthony Wayne defeats them in Ohio Valley and gets the Greenville treaty, which cedes Native American land in Ohio Valley to U.S.
- b In 1794, farmers in Pennsylvania rebelled against Hamilton's excise tax on whiskey, and several federal officers were killed in the riots caused by their attempts to serve arrest warrants on the offenders. In October, 1794, the army, led by Washington, put down the rebellion. The incident showed that the new government under the Constitution could react swiftly and effectively to such a problem, in contrast to the inability of the government under the Articles of Confederation to deal with Shay's Rebellion.
- c In 1789 Congress passed this Act which created the federal-court system. The act managed to quiet popular apprehensions by establishing in each state a federal district court that operated according to local procedures.
- d United States diplomat and jurist who negotiated peace treaties with Britain and served as the first chief justice of the United States Supreme Court (1745-1829)
- e A young, French diplomat that was sent to win American support.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- native american leader who led native american confederacy against americans in the Battle of Falledn Timbers, chieftain of the miami tribe
- Treaty made after the Battle of Fallen Timbers in which the Native-Americans surrendered their homelands in what is now Ohio. Took almost all of the Ohio away from the Native-Americans.
- the historic period (1793-94) during the French Revolution when thousands were executed
- Virginian, patriot, general, and president. Lived at Mount Vernon. Led the Revolutionary Army in the fight for independence. First President of the United States.
- Was made up by John Jay. It said that Britain was to pay for Americans ships that were seized in 1793. It said that Americans had to pay British merchants debts owed from before the revolution and Britain had agreed to remove their troops from the Ohio Valley
5 True/False Questions
Farewell Address → Referred to as Washington's Farewell Address. Its main points included: assuming leadership in the Western Hemisphere, developing its own trade, and not entering into permanent alliances with foreign nations, especially with Europe.
Charles Talleyrand → native american leader who led native american confederacy against americans in the Battle of Falledn Timbers, chieftain of the miami tribe
excise tax → a tax that is measured by the amount of business done (not on property or income from real estate)
Mad Anthony Wayne → Made it a crime to criticize the government or government officials. Opponents claimed that it violated citizens' rights to freedom of speech and freedom of the press, gauranteed by the First Amednment.
Pickney's Treaty → Was made up by John Jay. It said that Britain was to pay for Americans ships that were seized in 1793. It said that Americans had to pay British merchants debts owed from before the revolution and Britain had agreed to remove their troops from the Ohio Valley