5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- To prevent groupthink, a manager should
A. reinforce how capable the group is.
B. never admit errors to outsiders.
C. bring in outside experts for fresh perspectives.
D. encourage everyone to "get with the team."
E. express high confidence in the group's previous decisions.
- The group development stage in which individuals test the leader's policies and assumptions as they try to determine how they fit into the power structure is the ______ stage.
- Keith asked Becky, one of his team members, to purposefully think of and voice criticisms as the group discussed a popular idea to open a branch office in another state. This is an example of the use of
A. devil's advocacy.
C. the dialectic method.
E. dysfunctional conflict.
- ______ is designed to elicit different opinions without inciting people's personal feelings.
B. Programmed conflict
C. Social loafing
E. Dysfunctional conflict
- ______ is the process of having two people or groups play opposing roles in a debate in order to better understand a proposal.
B. Positive conflict
C. Devil's advocacy
E. The dialectic method
- a E. The dialectic method
- b B. Programmed conflict
- c A. storming
- d C. bring in outside experts for fresh perspectives.
- e A. devil's advocacy.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A. norming
- A. Project team
- C. group cohesiveness.
- B. accommodating.
- B. Less commitment
5 True/False questions
A group that is created to do something productive for the organization and is headed by a leader is called a(n)
A. dynamic group.
B. formal group.
C. normative group.
D. informal group.
E. network group. → B. Decreased stress
When members of a group are friendly and tight-knit but unable to disagree enough to properly appraise alternatives, they are said to be experiencing
A. paradigm paralysis.
C. social loafing.
D. the dialectic method.
E. devil's advocacy. → D. Avoiding
Which of the following is characteristic of work groups with too little conflict?
C. Political infighting
D. Lack of teamwork
E. Turnover → B. A type of advice team
Which of the following is an important aspect when creating a self-managed team?
A. Lessen the authority and autonomy that is granted
B. Require participation to be outside of normal working hours
C. Allow workers to simply do their own thing
D. Use team bonuses
E. Require voluntary only membership → C. Reforming
Which of the following is a manifestation of excessive conflict in the workplace?
B. Lack of creativity
C. Missed deadlines
E. Indecision → E. Inconsistent goals