How many major discourses does Matthew have?
What are the major discourses that Matthew has?
1. Sermon on the Mount
2. Commission and Instruction of the Twelve
3. 8 Parables of the kingdom
4. Humility and forgiveness in the Christian community
5. Olivet discourse about the end of the age (24-25)
1. Principle should be reflected in the text.
3. Should not be tied to a specific situation.
4. Should not be culturally bound.
5. Should correspond to the teaching of the rest of the Scripture
6. Should be relevant to the biblical and contemporary audience.
Five ways to interpret the book of revelation...
1. Preteristic - takes historical context seriously. Tries to understand the way John's audience would.
2. Historistic - views revelation as a map or outline of what has happened throughout church history from the first century until the return of Christ.
3. Futuristic - views most of the book as related to future events.
4. Idealist - views the book as an ongoing struggle between good and evil, church and paganism, and the eventual triumph of Christianity.
5. Electic - seeks to combine the strengths of the approaches mentioned above.
1st and 2nd Thessalonians main theme:
second coming of Christ. Eschatology
who is Christ, what Christ has done, what the church is. Christology/Ecclesiology
2Cor. 5, Phil. 4:2, Philemon theme
reconciliation, with God and one another
Romans 8, 12 Cor. 12, 14 theme
Pneumatology, doctrine of the Holy Spirit
Paul's use of in Christ was in response to.....
Son of man is a phrase that comes from
the book of Daniel
Revelation was probably written near the end of the reign of...
emperor Domitian (AD 81-96)
Trumpets in Revelation
Jesus, churches, pastors.
Gospel of John and Revelation have similar vocab like:
true, light, lamb
1. a letter
2. a prophetic letter (prediction and proclamation)
Characteristics of Parables
3. Major and Minor Points
6. Kingdom-centered meaning
7. Kingdom Ethics
8. God and salvation
Methods of Reading the Gospels
1. Reading individual stories
2. Reading a series of stories
Principles of Interpretation
1. distinguish between details the do not carry spiritual meaning and theologically loaded details.
2. Look for one main point for each character
3. Main points must be ones that Jesus' audience would have understood.
Kingdom of Heaven
Guidelines to choose words
1. Crucial Words
2. Repeated words
3. Figures of speech
4. Unclear, puzzling, or difficult words.
Characteristics of Pauline Epistles
3. Pastoral Letters
4. Apostolic authority
New Testament has how many letters?
21 - 13 are pauline and 8 are universal.
Pauline epistle form
Intro - Author's name, recipient, greetings, prayers of thanks.
Body - Instruction, persuasion, rebuke, exhortation
Conclusion - Greetings, travels, commendation, prayer requests, final instructions, benediction.
Two Major Divisions of Ephesians
1. God's fulfillment in Christ
2. Christian Responsibilities