← Chem Revision: 9G Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What is the greenhouse effect?
- Why is 'climate change' more accurate than 'global warming'?
- Rainwater has a natural pH of...
- If greenhouse effect didn't exsists...
- The ph of rainwater can decrase further if...
- a the world would be much colder than it is.
- b Because:
~Although the WORLD MEAN TEMP. would increase...
~...in some places, it would get colder
- c more acidic gases are added to the atmosphere
- d ~When gases (e.g. carbon dioxide) trap heat energy in the Earth's atmosphere, warming it up
- e 5.6 - 5.9 (mild acid)
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- That the mean world temp. will have a greater increase in the future
- it will cause changes in weather + rising sea levels
- both release high amounts of CO2,sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxides
- air pollution from burning fossil fuels
- ~A range of POLLUTANTS are measured (e.g. rain water pH)
5 True/False Questions
Define natural pollutants → Carbon dioxide (made by respiration,volcanoes + combustion)
Sulphur dioxide (made by volcanoes)
Nitrogen oxides (made when lightning reacts nitrogen+oxygen in the air)
Monitoring air pollution through nature also gives us... → a good idea of the overall health of the enviroment
What has happened to the mean world tempurature over the last 100 years? → There has been a slow but steady increase
Rainwater is acidic because... → Carbon dioxide,Sulphur dioxide,and Nitrogen oxides dissolve in the water to form acids
How can pollution by acid rain be reduced? → ~Reducing sulphur content in petrol+diesel (so less sulpur dioxide is produced by combustion)
~Fitting CATALYTIC CONVERTERS in car exhausts (which change corbon monoxide+nitrogen oxides) into less harmful gases
(e.g. carbon dioxide and nitrogen)
~Fitting SULPHUR PRECIPITATORS in the chimneys of power stations (to remove sulphur dioxide)