2. In some regions groundwater withdrawals can contribute to sinkholes, in which
Empty underground caverns suddenly collapse
3. The first genetically modified animal for human consumption is a salmon with extra growth hormones. Which of the following is NOT a concern about this animal?
They will probably outcompete wild salmon for habitat
4. The three crops that humans rely on for the majority of nutrients and calories are
Wheat, rice, and maize(corn)
5. Undernourished parents often raise children who are undernoursished because the parents
Cannot afford to feed their children properly
6. Chronically, undernourished people's diets do not provide 2,200 kcal per day on a long-term basis
7. Soil eroded from one location has to go somewhere else. A lot of it is washed down streams and rivers. Which of the following is not a form of environmental degradation associated with eroding soils?
8. Use of predators, parasites, and competitors for pest control defines which of the following?
Biological pest control
9. Even fertile land not naturally threatened can undergo desertification. Around the world, this has been most widely caused by
10. Point source pollution comes from discrete and identifiable places so they are easy to monitor and regulate
16. Which of the following statements is true
Humans may have been causing extinctions thousands of years ago, but our impact has recently increased
17. The objective of a species recovery plan is to
Increase an endangered species population until it is no longer endangered
18. 97% of all water on the Earth is in the oceans. Which of the following is the correct order of the Earth's water storage compartments, from largest to smallest?
Ocean, ice caps, groundwater, lakes, atmosphere, rivers
21. The biomagnifications of DDT demonstrates that
Higher trophic levels organisms can concentrate toxins in a type of "inverse biological pyramid"
24. GRAPH OF LITERS USED PER PERSON AND POPULATION. On the graph above of domestic water use per person, each letter represents a country. Which of the following is most likely?
A is United States and B is china
25. Eating low on the food chain is more efficient than eating high on it. However according to the Environmental science text, conversion of all present rangeland to crop land would increase environmental damage because
Not all land is suitable for agriculture; some is better suited to grazing
26. About 11% of the earth's surface (excluding antartica) is under agriculture. In simplest terms, if the world's human population doubles in the future, then either the total agriculture acreage must double or else ________ must double
Agricultural yields per acre
27. Biomagnification is a concentration of toxins
As predators consume and store the toxins that were stored in the bodies of their prey
28. Agriculture in less developed countries can e significantly affected by all of the following except
29. Monoculture production of crops is more vulnerable to outbreaks of disease because this type of farming
Simplifies the ecosystem and reduces biodiversity
32. Bioaccumulation is important because it allows cells to
Accumulate essential nutrients and minerals
33. Modern demand-based agriculture involves all of the following characteristics except
Cultivation of subsistence crops
34. The main reason for continued trade in endangered species is
Pet lovers and collectors who like exotic species
35. People can suffer malnourishment if they consume large amounts of _____ instead of ______
Fat and sugar; vitamins and protein
36. The stratified horizontal layers of soil are called soil..... ; good soil will have at least ..... of those ..... with ....... Being the most important for agriculture
38. A species in imminent danger of extinction is classified by the US Endangered species act as
40. The main reason that there are relatively few invertebrates categorized as endangered species is because
We consider the other groups such as mammals to be more intresting and desirable
41. If 100 cups of strong coffee contain a lethal dose of caffeine, why don't coffee drinkers eventually die from caffieine overdose?
Our bides metabolize the caffeine before lethal concentrations are reached
43. Which of the following does not represent reduction of erosion by vegetation
Vegetation leads to reduction of chemical weathering of the bedrock and desertification
44. Wetland protection is one of the most controversial provisions of the _____ because opponents believe that the legislation is _____
Clean water act; infringement on their use of private property
47. Monoculture is associated with
Decrease in ecosystem biodiversity and organic matter in the soil
48. The world health organization regards health as primarily a matter of _____ well being
Physical, mental, and social
49. The main reason that surface water pollution has largely decreased in the US since 1950 is
The Clean Water Act
50. The cheapest and most effective way to reduce water pollution is to use technology to separate wastes for nonpoint sources