5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- a A ________ is a cyclic comoound formed by the linkage of 4 tetra pyrrole rings with 8 hydrogen ions.
- b This prohibits all steps in porphyrin synthesis.
- c The average life span of _______ is 120 days
- d excessive excretion of one or more porphyrins in the urine.
- e Iron is released from the heme in the ______ and then returned to the plasma
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A _________ in blood acidity will increase blood pH causing a shift to the left.
- Aminolevelunic acid (ALA) Synthase is the enzyme that catalyzes the initial step in _________ synthesis.
- Where is Hb hydrolyed by enzymes into both heme and globin?
- The adult range of this type of blood is less than 0.4%
- This is the major type of Hemoglobin in fetal life. represents 70-90% of total hemoglobin
5 True/False Questions
Thalassemias → The _____ are a group of diseaases associated with hereditary and acquired deficiencies in the heme biosynthetic pathway.
Hemoglobin → __________ oxygen carrying protein found in red blood cells (erythrocytes) it is a tetrameric protein containing four heme groups and four polypeptide protein chains
Oxyhemoglobin → What is the name for oxygenated hemoglobin?
Hb S → Which type of Hemoglobin is the most common in adults?
CO2Hb (Amino) → a compoud of hemoglobin where one or more iron molecules are oxidized from the ferrous state to the ferric state.