5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- S-Hb (Sulf)
- COHb )Carboxy)
- a The _____ are a group of diseaases associated with hereditary and acquired deficiencies in the heme biosynthetic pathway.
- b A heme protein found in the muscle tissue, it serves as a reserve supply of O2 and requires lower O2 pressure to release oxygen
- c excessive excretion of one or more porphyrins in the urine.
- d compound formed by the binding of carbon monoxide (CO) to the heme iron.
- e A green pigmented compound formed by the addition of a hydrogen sulfide molecule to Hb
5 Multiple choice questions
- This contains most of the Iron (Fe) in the body.
- Most common abnormal type of hemoglobin
- One of the critical functions of Hemoglobin involves the transport of ________.
- Aminolevelunic acid (ALA) Synthase is the enzyme that catalyzes the initial step in _________ synthesis.
- Where is Hb hydrolyed by enzymes into both heme and globin?
5 True/False questions
Oxyhemoglobin → What is the name for oxygenated hemoglobin?
Thalassemias → This prohibits all steps in porphyrin synthesis.
Porphyrins → The accumulation of ________ are toxic to tissues in high concentrations.
RBC's → Due to the lack of a ______ the average RBC lives for approx. 120 days
Protein → _____ rings are the cyclic compounds that serve as the building blocks for porphyrins.