5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- a Swiss National. Educated at Paris Conservatory. Style: Short melodies, ostinatos, dissonant
- b Born in Vienna, attended U of Vienna. Studied composition with Schoenberg. Conductor of Worker's Symphony Orchestra. Denounced by Nazis, unable to perform or publish. Accidentally killed by a soldier at war's end.Tonal serialism, tone rows, short pieces.
- c born in Danbury, Connecticut. Studied at Yale with Parker. Opened successful insurance agency--originated concept of estate planning. Organist and composer at church in Danbury. 1927, ceased compositions. Free dissonance, polytonality, multi/asymmetrical meters, experimental forms, tone clusters.
- d Choral conductor with numerous vocal compositions. Orchestra compositions inspired by Javanese music.
- e Member of "American Five." Studied at UC Berkley. Arrested and incarcerated on Moral Charges (Bisexual). Used piano in non-traditional ways.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Born in Westchester, Pennsylvania. Entered Curtis Institute in Philadelphia to study piano, composition, and voice. Served with Army in WWII. Two Pulitzer Prizes. Suffered from alcoholism and depression after failure of 3rd opera.
- New sounds from ordinary instruments. New & unusual score configurations.
- Forefront of new musical developments in indeterminacy. All controls of composition left to listener. Partial indeterminacy.
- Style distinctly Parisian
- Folksongs/modal melodies, counterpoint, large wind sections. 14 symphonies.
5 True/False Questions
Varese → born in France, moved to NY in 1915. Focused on manipulation of sound masses.
Gershwin → Born in Brooklyn, Parents Russian Jews. Studied with Hambitzer, Goldmark, and Cowell. Composed musicals with brother. Traveled to Paris, rejected for study with Boulanger and Ravel. Incorporated jazz into art music compositions. Use of traditional opera elements, neoclassic techniques, and 20th century techniques.
Schoenberg → Swiss National. Educated at Paris Conservatory. Style: Short melodies, ostinatos, dissonant
Composers of Les Six → Aurie, Durey, Honegger, Milhaud, Poilenc, Tailleferre
Milhaud → born in Marseilles, Jewish family. Moved to USA, faculty of Mills College