5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Bile reflux gastritis
- Mechanical Causes of Intestinal Obstruction partial or complete
- Nursing interventions Goals colonoscopy
- Pre- operative care for Bowel diversion surgery
- a diverts the ileum to a stoma. Semisolid waste flows out of the stoma and collects in an ostomy pouch, which must be emptied several times a day. An ileostomy bypasses the colon, rectum, and anus and has the fewest complications.
- b is due to an excessive reflux of duodenal contents into the stomach it will damage gastric mucus
- c to decompress intestine by removal of gas and fluid, ON/G or intestinal tube (NG tube most common), Correction amd maitainance of fluid/electrolyte balance OIV/TPN, Removal or relief of obstruction (surgical intervention)
- d Occlusion of the lumen of the intestinal tract; small intestine adhesions, neoplasm; large intestine carcinoma ( most common cause); Volvulus; Diverticular diseases; and Intussusception
- e Bowel prep
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- surgical formation of an artificial opening between the stomach and the small intestine, usually at the jejunum. The operation is performed with a gastrectomy to route food from the remainder of the stomach into the small intestine or alone to treat a perforating ulcer of the duodenum.
- is the endoscopic examination of the large bowel and the distal part of the small bowel with a CCD camera or a fiber optic camera on a flexible tube passed through the anus
- begins concurrently or immediately succeeding a meal(15-30 minutes after eating. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness and fatigue.
- chance for malnutrition
- Larger bed; N/G; Anastomotic leaks; Nutrition dense diet for the first 6 weeks; Dumping Syndrome; Vitamin/mineral/nutrient replacement; Long term improvement in obesity related conditions.
5 True/False Questions
Post- operative care for Bowel diversion surgery → Stoma: volume/consistency/ amt of drainage; pouch and skin care; Ileostomy: fluid and electrolyte drainage, usually high output; teaching
Prep for a colonoscopy → Generally, all solids must be emptied from the gastrointestinal tract by following a clear liquid diet for 1 to 3 days before the procedure. Patients should not drink beverages containing red or purple dye. A laxative or an enema may be required the night before colonoscopy..NPO after midnight, conscious sedation, Propofol (Diprivan) is a drug that reduces anxiety and tension, and promotes relaxation and sleep or loss of consciousness.
Why perform a Pylorplasty → the only effective treatment for pyloric stenosis. It may also be used to treat certain patients with peptic ulcers or other types of gastric disease that cause a blockage of the stomach opening.
Gastric Restrictive Laparoscopic Adjustable GastricBand → the stomach is divided, and a small pouch, which limits calories that can be taken in on a daily basis to less than 1,000, is formed as simultaneously the majority of the stomach is sealed off. A portion of the small intestine is then divided and sewn to the newly created small stomach pouch. This process limits the body's ability to absorb calories. This procedure is performed as a laparoscopic surgery.However it can be performed as a standard open surgery.
Pyloroplasty → a surgical procedure to widen the opening in the lower part of the stomach (pylorus) so that the stomach contents can empty into the small intestine (duodenum)