5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Pathophysiology of complete or partial bowel obstruction
- Possible reasons for bowel diversion surgery.
- Dumping syndrome (rapid gastric emptying, )
- Post- operative care for Bowel diversion surgery
- a a surgical procedure to widen the opening in the lower part of the stomach (pylorus) so that the stomach contents can empty into the small intestine (duodenum)
- b Stoma: volume/consistency/ amt of drainage; pouch and skin care; Ileostomy: fluid and electrolyte drainage, usually high output; teaching
- c Cancer, trauma, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), bowel obstruction, and diverticulitis
- d fluids, gas and intestinal contents accumulates proximal to the intestinal obstruction. distension; distal bowel may collapse. Edema, congestion and rupture of bowel- retention of fluid in intestinal and peritoneum; reduction in circulation blood volume, shock; electrolyte fluids retain in bowel- high obstruction- metabolic alkolosis, small bowel- dehydration, large bowel- most GI fluids already absorbed
- e occurs when the undigested contents of your stomach are transported or "dumped" into your small intestine too rapidly. Reservoir reduced, large hypotonic bolus draws fluid into bowel, Lumen distends (stimulates intestinal motility
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- is a surgical connection between two structures. It usually means a connection that is created between tubular structures, such as blood vessels or loops of intestine.
- small meals, skin folds, yeast infections, reinforce diet, sckin care, exercise, 6 weeks liquid puree, coping skills, risk for going back to old habits
- Colostomy, Ileostomy, Continent Ileostomy, and Ileoanal reservoir surgery
- surgical formation of an artificial opening between the stomach and the small intestine, usually at the jejunum. The operation is performed with a gastrectomy to route food from the remainder of the stomach into the small intestine or alone to treat a perforating ulcer of the duodenum.
- the only effective treatment for pyloric stenosis. It may also be used to treat certain patients with peptic ulcers or other types of gastric disease that cause a blockage of the stomach opening.
5 True/False Questions
Gastric Restrictive Lap. Roux-EN-Y Gastric Preop care → BMI 35-40; Comorbid conditions/obesity related interfering with ADL; tired and failed non-surgical weight reduction; no alcohol or drug abuse; no underlying psychiatric issues concerning obesity
Nursing interventions Goals colonoscopy → Generally, all solids must be emptied from the gastrointestinal tract by following a clear liquid diet for 1 to 3 days before the procedure. Patients should not drink beverages containing red or purple dye. A laxative or an enema may be required the night before colonoscopy..NPO after midnight, conscious sedation, Propofol (Diprivan) is a drug that reduces anxiety and tension, and promotes relaxation and sleep or loss of consciousness.
Why do a Vagotomy → the surgical procedure that involves the resection the vagus nerve
Gastric Restrictive Laparoscopic Adjustable GastricBand → Using laparoscopic tools, the surgeon places an adjustable silicone band around the upper part of the stomach. Squeezed by the silicone band, the stomach becomes a pouch with about an inch-wide outlet. After banding, the stomach can only hold about an ounce of food. A plastic tube runs from the silicone band to a device just under the skin. Saline (sterile salt water) can be injected or removed through the skin, flowing into or out of the silicone band. Injecting saline fills the band and makes it tighter. In this way, the band can be tightened or loosened as needed. This can reduce side effects and improve weight loss.
Causes of Paralytic ileus → include electrolyte imbalances, gastroenteritis (inflammation or infection of the stomach or intestines), appendicitis, pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), surgical complications, and obstruction of the mesenteric artery, which supplies blood to the abdomen. Certain drugs and medications, such as opioids and sedatives, can cause ileus by slowing peristalsis, the contractions that propel food through the digestive tract.