5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- European Model
- Federal state
- Above the state boundary
- a a state model based on inviolable territory (after the Peace of Westphalia), governmental sovereignty (possessing supreme or independent political power), permanent population with a national culture, and a state capital. This model was spread globally due to the Age of Exploration (and Colonization).
- b refer to supranationalist agreements with two or more states working together for a common purpose.
- c neighbors differ over the way the boundary should function (migration, smuggling) (e.g., US/Mexico)
- d two or more separate pieces (e.g., Indonesia, Malaysia,...)
- e a state in which a group or body of members are bound together with a governing representative head. Federalism is the system in which the power to govern is shared between the national & state governments. Considered the most geographically expressive of all states.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- focus on legal language (e.g. median line of a river: water levels may vary)
- politically organized territory administered by a sovereign government, with a permanent population, and recognized by the international community ("State" = internal division; "state" = country).
- straight-line, unrelated to physical or cultural landscape, lat & long (US/Canada)
- association of sovereign states (or States) by a treaty or agreement. It deals with issues such as defense, foreign affairs, trade, and a common currency.
- tightly knit group of people sharing a common language, ethnicity, religion, and other cultural attributes.
5 True/False Questions
-Delimitation → cartographers put the boundary on the map
Shatterbelt → politically organized territory administered by a sovereign government, with a permanent population, and recognized by the international community ("State" = internal division; "state" = country).
-Protruded → a.k.a. prorupt; have an area that extends from a more compact core (e.g, Thailand, India,...)
Annexation → Incorporation of a territory into another geo-political entity.
Microstate (ministate) → nation that transcends the borders of two or more states (e.g., Kurds (Kurdistan), The Koreas,...).