← Music Final Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Gave the blues a wailing vocal style, a particular scale (Blues Scale), and a body of subjects or topics matter of the lyrics to sing
- Louis Armstrong (1901-1971)
- Very Softly
- a Composer who moved to U.S. to escape political oppression in Europe
- b What did the work song and field holler bequeath to the blues?
- c An instrument's "tone color" is often referred to as its
- d Born in New Orleans, he was nicked named "Satchmo."
- e The marking "pp" instructs musicians to perform
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The "beloved" in Berlioz's piece was inspired by his real-life infatuation with
- Instrumental music's literary and programmatic associations began to be more important in the _________________
- In a symphony orchestra, the "woodwind family" consists of the following instruments
- is a ballet that depicts an idyllic rural, nineteenth-century American setting
- This African-American style of music initially drew on funk, disco, and the black preaching tradition
5 True/False Questions
Louis Armstrong → What is the term for a form of black folksong passed along by oral tradition that originated in the South sometime during the 1880's and 1890's?
John Adams → American composer who wrote an opera based on Richard Nixon's visit to The People's Republic of China
Melody more than the harmony → First African-American composer to have a work performed by a major symphony orchestra
Hindustani-style music → What is the term for the traditional music of northern India?
Consonance → This style of jazz emphasizes lyricism, lower instrumental registers, moderate tempos, and quieter dynamic levels?