4 Written questions
4 Multiple choice questions
- - AEF
- was commanded by General John Pershing.
- Assumed independent responsibility for one segment of the Western Front
- 1) Recognition of freedom of the seas
2) An end to the practice of making secret treaties
3) Reduction of national armaments
4) An "impartial adjustment of all colonial claims"
5) Self determination for the various nationalities within the Austro-Hungarian empire
6) "A general association of nations...for the purpose of affording mutual guarantees of political independence and territorial integrity to great and small state alike
- - Torpedoing and sinking of a British passenger liner.
- Most of the passengers drowned, including 128 Americans.
- Wilson responded by sending Germany a strongly worded diplomatic message warning that Germany would be held to "strict accountability" if it continued its policy of sinking unarmed ships.
- - Every nation that had fought on the Allied side was present.
1) Germany was disarmed and stripped of its colonies in Asia and Africa. Forced to admit guilt for the war. And pay a huge sum of money in reparations to Great Britain and France.
2) Territories once controlled by Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Russia were taken by the Allies.
3) Signers of the treaty would join an international peacekeeping organization, the League of Nations. Called on each member nation to stand ready to protect the independence and territorial integrity of other nations.
4 True/False questions
Sussex pledge → - A German torpedo struck an unarmed merchant ship, injuring several American passengers.
- Wilson threatened to cut off US diplomatic relations with Germany- a step preparatory to war.
- Germany promised not to sink merchant or passenger ships without giving due warning.
Reservationists → - Said they could accept the League if certain reservations were added to the covenant.
Palmer Raids → - A series of unexplained bombings caused Attorney Generals A. Mitchell Palmer to establish a special office under J. Edgar Hoover to gather information on radicals.
- Ordered mass arrests of anarchists, Socialists, and labor agitators.
Selective Service Act → - A democratic method for ensuring that all groups in the population would be called into serve.