5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Emancipation Proclamation
- Robert E. Lee
- Turning point in battle of Civil War
- Battle of Vicksburg
- capital of the union during the civil war
- a Washington, DC
- b Gettysburg
- c much admired commander of the southern forces. Taught people how to lose as well as win with grace.
- d 48 day siege in which the citizens of Vicksburg ate rats, etc and lived in caves. Grant starved the people out and they surrendered on July 4, 1863. Would not celebrate July 4 for 81 years. After Vicksburg's capture, the South was cut in two and the MS river was Union highway
- e document written by Abraham Lincoln which freed the slaves in all the southern states except the border states
5 Multiple choice questions
- last major battle of the war. Intense hand to hand combat. Lee surrendered to Grant there.
- known for the catastrophe at Marye's Heights. 9,000 union soldiers were killed in a disasterous charge up Marye's Heights at the Battle of Fredericksburg. Also known for his facial hair. His men would not cheer him after Fredericksburg. Also known as Crater Incident at Petersburg
- day Lincoln surrendered to Grant at Appomattox Courthouse, VA
- Confederate capital for much of the war
- horrific battle in which 200 men were burned alive
5 True/False questions
Dorothea Dix → woman who cleaned up the nursing profession and made it respectable
total war → a southerner who has northern sympathies
John Wilkes Booth → LIncoln's assassin. famous actor
April 14, 1865 → date of Lincoln's assasination
Monitor vs Merrimac → ships that were covered with iron. Bullets, cannons, etc would bounce off of them. Chnaged forever the way ships were made.