5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- William Shakespeare
- blank verse
- a unrhymed poetry with a rhythmic pattern known as iambic pentameter
- b a work in which characters, events, and settings symbolize, or represent something else
- c "Sonnet 18"
- d the author's choice of words
- e the character who speaks in or narrates the poem
5 Multiple choice questions
- when something is known by the reader or audience but unknown to the characters
- a poem to honor or praise someone or something
- has a formal tone that laments the death of someone
- a words dictionary meaning without any emotional associations
- "Introduction to Poetry"
5 True/False questions
ballad → a poem that tells a story and is written in four-to-six line stanzas, usually meant to be sung, rhyming
John Updike → "Ex-Basketball Player"
Jamaica Kincaid → when something is known by the reader or audience but unknown to the characters
Nikki Giovanni → "Introduction to Poetry"
Langston Hughes → "Dream Variations"