5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What 4 make up 96% of body mass?
- chemical equation
- why don't atoms have an electrical charge?
- a Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen
- b the smallest unit of matter that has the characteristics of an element; consists of three main types of subatomic particles: protons neutrons and electrons. SOMETIMES CALLED: THE BASIC UNIT OF MATTER
- c because they have the same number of protons and electrons
- d a shorthand way to use chemical symbols and numbers to describe a chemical reaction
- e four main classes of large biological molecules (carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, nucleic acids)
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- a combination of substances in which each component retains its own properties
- the uneven forces acting on the particles on the surface of a liquid; as if a thin film was stretch across the surface
- an atom or group of atoms that has a positive or negative charge
- These have no electrical charge, but add to the mass of the atom
5 True/False Questions
why are charges unevenly distributed in water? → surface tension, cohesion, adhesion, capillary action
protons → contains carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen. source of energy. needed by tissue for repair and growth. made up of 20 amino acids.
electrons → negatively charged particles - 3000 times smaller than neutrons and protons
What is the function of nucleic acids? → lomg-term energy storage, insulation, cell membrane (water barrier)
proteins → Positively charged particles