6 Written Questions
6 Multiple Choice Questions
- The different ways effective speeches work to persuade their audience. Aristotle recognized three major appeals: Logos, which focuses on the quality of an argument, pathos, which focuses on the values and beliefs of the audience, and ethos, which focuses on the author's character.
- A text has ______________ when its ideas are arranged and connected in an order that makes sense to the reader.
- Express the meaning of (the writer or speaker or something written or spoken) using different words, esp. to achieve greater clarity.
- The breadth and depth of your argument. It consists of explanations, descriptions, examples, etc. which expand your argument by supporting your reasons (which support your claim).
- A method and format of recording source information as stipulated by the Modern Language Association. This method includes using parenthetical citations and cross-referencing them with a works-cited page. (You'll need the MLA Handbook for college!)
- A _______________ is a page at the end of your research paper which lists all sources you considered while researching whether or not you cited them.
6 True/False Questions
Works Cited → . A ____________ page lists only the sources you cited information from. Both of these have a particular format which is stipulated by the MLA.
Audience → The listeners at a speech or performance, or the intended readership for a piece of writing.
Synthesize (Synthesis) → A general statement or concept obtained by inference from specific cases.
Generalization → To examine and judge carefully ; act of ascertaining or fixing the value or worth of
Parenthetical Citation → a style that places parentheses around documentation as opposed to footnotes or endnotes to reference the material
Credibility → Has experience and/or knowledge in a particular subject.