1. biological basis of thought & behavior
2. focus is on the brain & nervous system
3. human nature is passive & mechanical = b/c everything is pre-programmed in the genes (cannot change behavior)
4. behavior is determined by hereditary & biochemical processes
5. Theorists = Many, Roger Sperry (split brain procedures), Dr. Ben Carson (pediatric neurosurgeon - epilepsy, seizures)
1. powerful inner drive shapes behavior
2. drives are unconscious
3. instinct driven (deeply imbedded in the mind)
4. behavior is determined by the genes & early experiences
5. Theorist = Sigmund Freud
1. Emphasizes the role of the environment in shaping behavior
2. focus is on overt or observable behaviors = everything you can see
3. the study of behavior as it relates to stimulus conditions = rewards, punishment
4. behavior is reactive & modifiable = ability to change
5. Theorist = John Watson
1. examines both behavior & mental processes
2. Behavior is active & reactive
3. Theorist = Albert Bandura
1. conscious experiences = complete aware
2. belief that people are basically good & have free will to choose their destiny
3. the central drive in personality is SELF-ACTUALIZATION, the drive to fulfill your potential
4. potential only flourishes in a supportive environment = basic needs are met
5. behavior is potentially self-directed
6. Theorists = Carl Rogers & Abraham Maslow
Cognitive = Theorist?
Psychosocial development = Theorist?
Psychosexual development = Theorist?
Moral development (Men) = Theorist?
Moral development (Women) = Theorist?
Responses of Death & Dying = Theorist?
Attachment = Theorist?