(n.): the projecting part (the part that sticks out) of a dogs head that includes the mouth, nose, and jaw.
(adv.): To be lame is to be crippled; especially to have an injured leg or foot.
1. decayed, decrepit, or outdated
2. eaten away by or as if by moths
v. 1. to pacify; soothe
2. to lessen the harshness or severity of
(adj.): shrewd; scheming
(adj.): eager and ready to fight
(adv.): in a careful, cautious way
n. a grammatical category of verbs used to express distinctions of time
v. become stretched or tense or taut;
adj. 1. in or of a state of physical or nervous tension
2. taut or rigid; stretched tight;
lightweight (for boxing)
(n.): a boxer who weighs between 127 - 135 pounds
"scrap" (not a piece!)
n. 1.A fight or a scuffle.
2. worthless material that is to be disposed of
(adv.): in a threatening way
1. preserved and stored in airtight cans or tins canned meat
2. Informal prepared or recorded in advance; artificial; not spontaneous canned music
3. a slang word for drunk 
adv. In a manner as if wholly engrossed or engaged.
(adj.): belittling and insulting
(n.) a woman of loose morals; one who is prone to be sexually unfaithful
(n.): the leather straps and metal pieces by which a horse or mule is fastened to a vehicle.
A low hoarse sound, as that characteristic of frogs and crows.
1. To utter in a low hoarse sound.
(n.): bars connecting two opposite wheels
adv. Expressing sorrow; mournful or melancholy.
v. twist and press out of shape
n. caramelized sugar cooled in thin sheets
adj. 1. having little elasticity; hence easily cracked or fractured or snapped;
2. lacking warmth and generosity of spirit;
adv. in_an_arch_manner; with playful slyness or roguishness
(adj.): anxious; fearful
1. penetrating deeply into subjects or ideas
hatchet face (n): a lean, sharp face
(adv.): in a pleased, satisfied manner
v. reflect deeply on a subject;
adv. with strained or eager attention;
n. 1.the quality of being worthy of esteem or respect;
2. formality in bearing and appearance;
"cuckoo" (pg 39)
n. 1. a man who is a stupid incompetent fool
2. any of numerous European and North American birds having pointed wings and a long tail
the yield from plants in a single growing season
adj. able and willing to listen to and accept information, new ideas, etc. Slim is willing to listen to what George is about to tell him.
"bust" (pg 40)
n. 1. a complete failure;
2. the chest of a woman
3. a sculpture of the head and shoulders of a person
4. an occasion for excessive eating or drinking;
n. 1.a person or thing that is annoying or troublesome
2. (law) a broad legal concept including anything that disturbs the reasonable use of your property or endangers life and health or is offensive
1. a loud raucous cry; screech
v. to utter a squawk or with a squawk
v. kill without legal sanction;
"scrammed" (pg 42)
v. leave immediately; used usually in the imperative form;
adj. having the back and shoulders rounded; not erect; "
n. the activity of keeping something secret
adj. covering or hiding;
adv. in a beseeching manner; "`You must help me,' she said imploringly"; beseeching: begging;
a painful condition involving the joints and muscles
(v.): twisted and turned; wriggled
n. 1. material consisting of seed coverings and small pieces of stem or leaves that have been separated from the seeds
2. short stiff hairs growing on a man's face when he has not shaved for a few days
adv. 1. Not flexible or pliant; stiff.
2. Not moving; fixed.
n. machine in which rotating records cause a stylus to vibrate and the vibrations are amplified acoustically or electronically
adj. have legs that curve outward at the knees
n. 1. any of various dark heavy viscid substances obtained as a residue
2. a man who serves as a sailor
"hoosegow" (pg 56)
US a slang word for jail
a plant widely grown for animal feed.