5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What is reproduction? What are the two main types? Explain each.
- What is the difference between microevolution and macroevolution?
- What role did Watson and Crick play in the discovery of the structure of DNA?
- What is the difference between a genotype and a phenotype?
- Which drug is hardest to quit after one use?
- a The making of more of the same species.
The two main types are sexual and asexual reproduction.
Sexual- genetic material is donated from two parents to make a genetically unique offspring.
Asexual- genetic material is donated from one parent to make a genetically identical offspring.
- b Built a 3D model of a DNA molecule
- c microevolution- looks at the process by which inherited traits change over time in a population
5 major processes that affect the kinds of genes in a population from generation to generation are migration, mate choice, natural selection , mutation, and genetic drift
macroevolution- looks at the patterns in which new species evolve by studying the direction, diversity, or speed of change. Patterns are convergent evolution, co-evolution, adaptive radiation, extinction, gradualism and punctuated equilibrium.
- d Genotype- the combo of 2 alleles that determines a trait.
Phenotype- trait that results from a given combination of alleles.
Genotype determines phenotype
- e Tobacco
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- He presented evidence that evolution happens and offered a correct reason as to how
- The sequence of amino acids.
- mRNA formed by transcription, complimentary strand to the DNA sequence of a gene, carries instructions for the making of a protein from the nucleus to the ribosomes
tRNA reads the mRNA by binding to the codon on the mRNA with the anticodon located on one end of the tRNA at the ribosome during translation, carries a specific amino acid for the codon on the other end of the tRNA, translates it into an amino acid sequence when subsequent amino acids are joined together
rRNA together these for the ribosome, is the site of protein synthesis
5 True/False Questions
Chapter 12 → Mutation in the cell cycle
How can drugs enter the body? → The idea that large scale changes like formation of a new species require many small changes to build up over a long period of time
What causes secondary sex characteristics in males and females? What secondary sex characteristics do males and females show? → Crossing over- homologous chromosomes exchange genetic material during the 1st phase of meiosis
Law of segregation- the random chance that the gamete will receive either allele
Law of independent assortment- during meiosis each allele for each gene separate independently from one another
What is speciation? → The idea that large scale changes like formation of a new species require many small changes to build up over a long period of time
What is descent with modification? → Several species of a animal evolving from a common ancestor and through the generations as they move to different environments they all evolve with their environment becoming new species