5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- La Nina
- El Nino-Southern Oscillation (ENSO)
- a Fourth step in the Nitrogen Cycle. Biological nitrogen compounts change into ammonia (NH3) and ammonium (NH4). Animals will often form waste containing nitrogen, called "urea" or "uric acid."
- b The eastern Pacific Ocean's surface water temperature becomes unusually cool and westbound trade winds get unusually strong. This event often occurs after El Nino
- c A cycling of alternating warming and cooling of surface waters of the tropical eastern Pacific Ocean that affects both ocian and atmospheric circulation patterns. Every 3 to 7 years, the trade winds weaken, causing there to be a wider spread of warm waters for a few years.
- d Earth's rigid outer rock layer
- e Large, circular ocean current systems that often encompass an entire ocean basin
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- the region of the mantle of the lithosphere where rocks become hot and soft
- one of three kinds of prevailing winds, these winds come from the northeast (near the North Pole) and the southeast, near the South Pole
- atmosphere layer above troposhere. There is a steady wind here, but no turbulence
- second step of nitrogen cycle. ammonia (NH3) or ammonium (NH4) is converted to nitrate by bacteria in the soil.
- spot on Earth's surface, directly above an earthquake's focus
5 True/False Questions
Tropical Cyclones → "giant, rotating tropical storms" winds are 119+ km/hr. Aka hurricanes, typhoons, cyclones
watershed → These prevailing winds come from the southwest in the Northern Hemisphere and northwest in the Southern Hemisphere
Ocean Conveyor Belt → spot on Earth's surface, directly above an earthquake's focus
Plate Tectonics → the study of the dynamics of Earth's lithosphere and the movement of its seven plates
hot spot → 1. A rising plume of magma that flows from deep within the Earth's surface, occuring at a weak point in a tectonic plate rather than where two tectonic plates meet 2. An area of great species diversity that is at risk of destruction by human activities