5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- 1st line managers, (Following the plans of middle and top managers, first-line managers make short-term operating decisions, directing the daily tasks of nonmanagerial personnel, who are, of course, all those people who work directly at their jobs but don't oversee the work of others.)
- I want to lose 20 pounds by June 1, 2011., (A SMART goal is specific, measurable, attainable, results-oriented, and has target dates. Only choice C has all of these characteristics.)
- Its purpose is to motivate employees, (The purpose of MBO is to motivate rather than control subordinates)
- preconventional, (Kohlberg has proposed three levels of personal moral development—preconventional, conventional, and postconventional. At level 1, the preconventional level, managers would be autocratic or coercive, and expect employees to be obedient for obedience's sake.)
- geocentric, (Geocentric managers accept that there are differences and similarities between home and foreign personnel and practices and that they should use whatever techniques are most effective.)
- a __________ managers accept that there are differences and similarities between home and foreign personnel and practices and that they should use whatever techniques are most effective.
- b Tanya is a new manager, and she is always threatening her employees with a variety of punishments in order to get them to follow the rules. The level of personal moral development at which Tanya is operating is the ______ level according to Kohlberg.
- c Which of the following would BEST describe MBO?
- d Managers who make short-term operating decisions and direct the daily tasks of the nonmanagerial employees are called
- e Laurie has been struggling with her weight and one of her coworkers suggested that she make a SMART goal for herself. Which of the following is the best example of a SMART goal for Laurie?
5 Multiple choice questions
- The first step in the MBO process is to
- The pursuit of organizational goals efficiently and effectively by integrating the work of people through planning, organizing, leading, and controlling the organization's resources is called
- Kia Motors takes a very aggressive stance to fire executives who don't meet sales goals. This is an example of which type of culture?
- Managers tend to give more weight to more recent behavior. This is due to the
- ______ is the illegal buying or selling of a company's stock by people using confidential company information.
5 True/False questions
strategic, tactical, and operational. → There are three levels of planning. Their order, from first to last, is
Diversity, (Diversity represents all the ways people are unlike and alike—the differences and similarities in age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, capabilities, and socioeconomic background.) → Standards of right and wrong that influence behavior are known as
organizing, (Organizing is defined as arranging tasks, people, and other resources to accomplish the work) → Pizza Hut provides the use of its name plus operating know-how to companies in Costa Rica in return for a fee plus a percentage of profits. Pizza Hut is
Entrepreneur, (In their decisional roles, managers use information to make decisions to solve problems or take advantage of opportunities. The four decision-making roles are entrepreneur, disturbance handler, resource allocator, and negotiator.) → Which of the following is an example of a decisional role that managers play?
Job Analysis → Determining, by observation and analysis, the basic elements of a job.