5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- I want to lose 20 pounds by June 1, 2011., (A SMART goal is specific, measurable, attainable, results-oriented, and has target dates. Only choice C has all of these characteristics.)
- Entrepreneur, (In their decisional roles, managers use information to make decisions to solve problems or take advantage of opportunities. The four decision-making roles are entrepreneur, disturbance handler, resource allocator, and negotiator.)
- cost leadership, (The cost-leadership strategy is to keep the costs, and hence prices, of a product or service below those of competitors and to target a wide market.)
- strategic, tactical, and operational.
- a Which of the following is an example of a decisional role that managers play?
- b Timex Watch makes inexpensive but reliable watches sold throughout the U.S. and is an example of an organization pursuing a _________ strategy.
- c There are three levels of planning. Their order, from first to last, is
- d Laurie has been struggling with her weight and one of her coworkers suggested that she make a SMART goal for herself. Which of the following is the best example of a SMART goal for Laurie?
- e ______ skills consist of the job-specific knowledge needed to perform well in a specialized field.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- According to Hersey and Blanchard's Situational Leadership Theory, a worker who is unable, unwilling and lacks confidence is at this level of readiness
- In this organizational structure, people with similar job specialties are grouped together
- Porter's competitive strategies include
- A ______ manager is responsible for just one organizational activity.
- Landon has a simple rule that he follows when it comes to new hiring; if four or more of his staff are working 20% or more overtime, he hires another employee. Landon is using
5 True/False Questions
liaison, (In a liaison role, you must act like a politician, working with other people outside your work unit and organization to develop alliances that will help you achieve your organization's goals.) → Eli Lilly has agreed to let a South African company manufacture several of Eli Lilly's diabetes drugs and pay Eli Lilly a fee to distribute the drugs with a different brand name in South Africa. Eli Lilly is engaging in
delegating → In the situational leadership model, this leadership style is recommended for employees with the highest levels of readiness.
1st line managers, (Following the plans of middle and top managers, first-line managers make short-term operating decisions, directing the daily tasks of nonmanagerial personnel, who are, of course, all those people who work directly at their jobs but don't oversee the work of others.) → Managers who make short-term operating decisions and direct the daily tasks of the nonmanagerial employees are called
Deeper commitment to the decision, (Advantages of group decision making include (1) greater pool of knowledge, (2) different perspectives, (3) intellectual stimulation, (4) better understanding of decision rationale, (5) deeper commitment to the decision) → Standards of right and wrong that influence behavior are known as
environmental scanning., (Environmental scanning is careful monitoring of an organization's internal and external environments to detect early signs of opportunities and threats that may influence the firm's plans.) → The _________ effect states that your influence on the organization is multiplied far beyond the results that can be achieved by just one person acting alone