5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Components of C5 convertase
- a Classical - C5 combines with C2a, C3b and C4b complex then activated (splits) into C5a and C5b
Alternative - binds with the Bb and 2 C3b complex then is activated into C5a and C5b
- b The classes of an immunoglobulins.
- c 4 domain co-receptor expressed on the cytokine secreting TH1 cells, contains the binding site for MHC2 on activated antigen presenting B-cells and macrophages.
- d Cytokine secreted by TH1-cells to initiate proliferation and clonal expansion of B-cells.
- e Stimulated b-cells that are proliferating in the germinal centers.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- involves the Ig binding tightly to the pathogen to prevent interaction with it receptor on humans. The Ig's crosslink pathogens. The neutralized pathogen once bound is phagocytosed.
- The recognition of non self MHC molecules by T-cells.
- Lymphocyte Function Associated Antigen-1. An integrin expressed by all t-cells it is important for to allow for binding to cell adhesion molecules expresses on extracellular matrix.
- The increase in affinity of the antigen-binding sites of antibodies for antigen that occurs during the course of an adaptive immune response. Is a result of somatic hypermutation in the Ig.
- Proliferation of antigen triggered effector T-cells creating memory T-cells
Clonal expansion of activated B-cells leading to differentiation of progeny into antibody secreting plasma cells.
5 True/False Questions
CD3 → Large signal transduction complex that is associated wit the T-cell receptor in the T-cell membrane. Contain Intracellular ITAMs domains.
Isotype switch → A given variable region can be expressed with any of the different constant regions through a mechanism known as isotype switching. Is dependent on circulating cytokines.
Innate Immunity → Second line of defence non-adaptive/non-specific immunity. Involve the non-specific destruction of pathogens via macrophages, neutrophils, NK cells and circulating proteins of complement and acute phase proteins.
Fas ligand → Expressed on TH1 cells, when bound to Fas receptor cell induces apoptosis of macrophage to release contents.
Function of APC cells → Hypervariable regions 1 and 2 of VH and VL chains are encoded in the VH and VL gene segments. Hypervariable region 3 falls at the junction of V/J gene segments in light chains and is partially encoded in the D segment in heavy chains. In both diversity at HV3 is increased by the addition/deletion of additional nucleotides during the joining process involved in gene rearrangement. This gives "junctional diversity" a further source of diversity in H and L chain variable regions.