Sentence type: Yes - No Questions
• NON-MANUAL: Brow raise, widened eyes, frequently head/body tilt
• Generally the last sign is held longer than usual
• Sentence includes "______q" at the end
Sentence type: WHQ's
• NON-MANUAL: Brow squint, Frequently head tilt back
(In general the WH-q is at the end of the sentence)
• "WH" signs are used
Sentence type: NEGATIVES
• NON-MANUALS: Side-to-side head shake, a frown, brow squint, wrinkle nose and or upper lip
• Sentence will have "_____n______" over it
1. "_______n_______" Above the sentence.
2. Use the sign "NOT" before or after a SIGNED verb.
3. Use Negative Incorporation: DON'T-KNOW, DON'T-LIKE, DON'T-WANT. *must include the "-" well writing.
Signs that equal: Tonight, This Morning, This Afternoon.
"NOW" + "NIGHT" = Tonight
"NOW" + "MORNING" = This Morning
"NOW" + "AFTERNOON" = This Afternoon
Signs (verb) that move in one direction. from signer to person or person to signer, NOT person to person.
GLOSS them like iVISITher. The "i" and "her" are included in the "VISIT" sign and won't be capitalized.
Signs (verb) that mover in any direction. From signer to person, person to signer, and person to person.
GLOSS them like iMEETher. The "i" and "her" are included in the "MEET" sign and won't be capitalized.
TIME INDICATOR "FINISH"
Using the "FINISH" sign time indicator before or after the verb.
DOG I FINISH SEE = I saw the dog
DOG I SEE FINISH = I saw the dog
Time Indicator "Placement of Time"
When you sign a sentence that requires a time stamp. You sign the "TIME" first. (T+P+O+S+V)
LAST YEAR SPOKANE DOG# ME BUY
TODAY IT DIE
NEXT YEAR SEATTLE DOG NEW I BUY
Dominant hand vs. Non Dominant hand
Dominant hand = Motion (performs the sigh)
Non Dominant hand = Support or does nothing
Color Signs that Shake the letter
Yellow = Shake "Y"
Blue = Shake "B"
Brown = Shake "R" (yes thats an "R")
Green = Shake "G"
Purple = Shake "P"
Color Signs that don't shake the letter
Red = Starts in the "D" hand shape. In front of chin, Hand Position facing self, Moves down and turns into the "X" hand shape.
ORANGE = "O" hand shape. In front of chin, hand position facing dominant hand, motion is squeezing the "O" like squeezing an orange.
Pink = "P" hand shape. in front of chin, hand position facing self, moves as if your scratching your chin with middle finger.
Black = "B" hand shape, in front of forehead, palm orientation facing down, motion is sliding hand across the forehead left to right or right to left depending on dominant hand.
What are Classifiers
• They are not signs.
• They are visual specifiers of Shape and Size.
• They use the "LL", "C", "CC", "BB", or "F"
LL = Has a little bend and an example would be describing a Burrito
C = One handed thicker round soaked item
CC = Two handed thicker round shape
BB = Flat shape like a map
F = Small round shape like a silver dollar
GLOSS LIKE "CL: CC" or "CL: F"
Additive Use in ASL
ADJ go before or after the thing they modify. (After is Best)
Example: YOUR NAME (Object) MAN (Verb) REMEMBERS (ADJ)
A pronoun placed in a 3D space.
Example: He, She, You, It.
* When you sign the "HE" you then place them in your sign space to reference them letter if needed.
Remembering tip: 007 - Kills by suffocation - ending their life (or sentence)