5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Which of the following statements is incorrect or false?
- Which is mismatched?
- Which of the following is not a mechanism for the development of autoimmune disorders?
- T OR F: A given pathogen will provoke either a cell-mediated response or an antibody-mediated response but not both.
- An increase in white blood cell number at sites of injury, which is characteristic of inflammation, is called ______.
- a A SECOND EXPOSURE TO AN ALLERGEN;
Mutation followed by the appearance of membrane proteins not previously present;
Exposure of previously "hidden" self-antigens to the adaptive immune system;
Cross-reaction of antibodies formed against foreign antigens with self-antigens
- b leukocytosis
- c AIDS: T helper cells are destroyed by a virus;
Severe combined immunodeficiency syndrome (SCID): genetic defect resulting in a shortage of B and/or T cells;
Multiple sclerosis: autoimmune disorder;
IMMEDIATE HYPERSENSITIVITY: ALLERGIC CONTACT DERMATITIS
- d FALSE
- e CLASS II MHC MOLECULES APPEAR ONLY ON THE SURFACE OF ANTIGEN-PRESENTING CELLS, THYMIC CELLS, AND T CELLS THAT HAVE BEEN ACTIVATED BY EXPOSURE TO ANTIGENS;
Class 1 MHC molecules are built into the plasma membranes of all body cells;
Haptens lack immunogenicity unless attached to protein carriers;
MHC proteins are the cell's identity markers.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- T cells and B cells become fully immunocompetent when they bind with recognized antigens;
The lymphoid organs where lymphocytes become immunocompetent are called primary lymph organs. All other lymphoid organs are referred to as secondary lymphoid organs;
It is our genes, not antigens, that determine what specific foreign substances our immune system will be able to recognize and resist;
AFTER BECOMING IMMUNOCOMPETENT, THE NAIVE T CELLS AND B CELLS ARE EXPORTED TO THE BONE MARROW WHERE THE ENCOUNTERS WITH ANTIGENS OCCUR
lysozyme in tears;
- JUVENILE DIABETES;
5 True/False Questions
Which antimicrobial protein is produced by a virus-infected cell? → interferon
Which of the following is a part of the second line of defense against microorganisms? → T CELLS;
Select the correct statement about active and passive immunity. → Active and passive humoral immunity are both mechanisms of adaptive immunity that use antibodies.
T OR F: Fever is seldom beneficial because it speeds up the cellular metabolic rate and will not allow antigen-antibody reactions to occur. → FALSE
Of the following classes of antibodies, which can cross the placenta? → IgG