5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What characteristic do all inflammatory chemicals share?
- Select the correct statement about complement.
- Which of the following types of cells display protein fragments produced by the cancer within them?
- A young girl requires a liver transplant due to failure of her liver to function. What is required for her to have a good prognosis, and what must be performed after the operation?
- The antibody that becomes bound to mast cells and basophils and causes the cells to release histamine and other chemicals is ________.
- a IgE
- b ABO and Rh typing must be performed, followed by MHC typing. Following surgery, she must receive immunosuppressive therapy to keep her body from rejecting the new liver as foreign tissue.
- c An adaptive immune mechanism is often involved in directing complement to its target.
- d all nucleated cells
- e They are all vasodilators.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The parts of antigen molecules that initiate immune responses are called epitopes or antigenic determinants;
Antigens exhibit immunogenicity and reactivity;
Antigens can include proteins, nucleic acids, lipoproteins, glycoproteins, and certain large polysaccharides;
ANTIGENS ONLY COME FROM MICROBES
- Yes, aspirin should be avoided because aspirin would disguise a fever that would indicate infection.
- processed fragments of protein antigens displayed on surfaces of body cells
5 True/False questions
Which of the following is associated with passive immunity? → passage of IgG antibodies from a pregnant mother to her fetus
Of the following classes of antibodies, which can cross the placenta? → Reactivity with an antibody
Max is bitten by a rattlesnake while on a camping trip. His friends immediately apply ice packs to the bitten area to slow the spread of the protein-based toxin; they then rush him to an emergency facility. What treatment would be given, and what type of immunity did he receive/generate? → protects cells that have not yet been infected by viruses
________ are released by activated T cells and macrophages to mobilize immune cells and attract other leukocytes into the area. → Cytokines
Innate immune system defenses include ________. → is the ability of individual cells to recognize a specific antigen by binding to it