5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Convection Current
- Occluded Front
- pressure gradient force
- Wind Vain
- a Drives air from areas of higher barometric pressure to areas of lower barometric pressure, causing winds.
- b an instrument used to determine the direction that the wind is blowing
- c the movement of a fluid, caused by differences in temperature, that transfers heat from one part of the fluid to another
- d an area in which the barometric pressure is greater than that of the surrounding air
- e a front where a warm air mass is caught between two colder air masses and brings cool temperatures and large amounts of rain and snow
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- An instrument that measures changes in air pressure, consisting of a glass tube partially filled with mercury, with its open end resting in a dish of mercury. Air pressure pushing on the mercury in the dish forces the mercury in the tube to be higher.
- a body of air that has about the same temperature and moisture throughout
- The way Earth's rotation makes winds in the Northern Hemisphere curve to the right and winds in the Southern Hemisphere curve to the left.
- a line on a weather map that joins points having the same barometric pressure
- a boundary between two air masses of different density, moisture, or temperature
5 True/False Questions
Cold Front → moving weather front along which a warm air mass slides over a cold air mass, producing stratiform clouds and precipitation
anemometer → an instrument that measure air pressure, An instrument that measures changes in air pressure without using a liquid. Changes in the shape of an airtight metal box cause a needle on the barometer dial to move.
aneroid barometer → an instrument that measure air pressure, An instrument that measures changes in air pressure without using a liquid. Changes in the shape of an airtight metal box cause a needle on the barometer dial to move.
Friction → the resistance encountered when one body is moved in contact with another. Slows down the speed of wind when it flows over land
High → Area of high pressure where wind will move away from, associated with dry and nice weather and air that is sinking