5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Wind Vain
- Mercury Barometer
- Convection Current
- a an instrument used to determine the direction that the wind is blowing
- b an instrument that measures wind speed
- c the movement of a fluid, caused by differences in temperature, that transfers heat from one part of the fluid to another
- d an area in which the barometric pressure is greater than that of the surrounding air
- e An instrument that measures changes in air pressure, consisting of a glass tube partially filled with mercury, with its open end resting in a dish of mercury. Air pressure pushing on the mercury in the dish forces the mercury in the tube to be higher.
5 Multiple choice questions
- forms when cold air moves under warm air which is less dense and pushes air up
- the weight of the air above an object
- an instrument that measure air pressure, An instrument that measures changes in air pressure without using a liquid. Changes in the shape of an airtight metal box cause a needle on the barometer dial to move.
- a front where a warm air mass is caught between two colder air masses and brings cool temperatures and large amounts of rain and snow
- narrow belt of strong winds that blows near the top of the troposphere across the US
5 True/False questions
Front → an area in which the barometric pressure is lower than that of the surrounding air
Coriolis Effect → The way Earth's rotation makes winds in the Northern Hemisphere curve to the right and winds in the Southern Hemisphere curve to the left.
warm front → moving weather front along which a warm air mass slides over a cold air mass, producing stratiform clouds and precipitation
Air Mass → a line on a weather map that joins points having the same barometric pressure
Friction → the resistance encountered when one body is moved in contact with another. Slows down the speed of wind when it flows over land