5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Henry Knox
- Bank of the United States
- Treaty of Greenville
- Battle of Fallen Timbers
- French Revolution
- a began in 1789 with some nonviolent restrictions on the king, but became more hostile in 1792 when France declared war on Austria. Seeking help from America, the French pointed to the Franco-American alliance of 1778. Not wanting to get involved for fear of damage to the trade business, Washington gave the Neutrality Proclamation, which made America neutral.
- b either of the two National Banks, funded by the federal government and private investors, established by congress, the first in 1791 and the second in 1816
- c An attack made by American General "Mad Anthony Wayne" against invading Indians from the northwest. The defeat of the Indians ended the alliance made with the British and Indians.
- d was the first secretary of war; came to power in 1789; was the first to be entrusted with the infant army and navy.
- e Gave America all of Ohio after General Mad Anthony Wayne battled and defeated the Indians at the Battle of Fallen Timbers.
5 Multiple choice questions
- foreign minister; In 1797, Adams sent a diplomatic commission to France to settle matters about the upset of the Jay Treaty of 1794. The French thought that America was siding with the English violating the Franco-American Treaty of 1778. The commission was sent to talk to Talleyrand about the seizing of American ships by the French. Communication between the commission and Talleyrand existed between three go betweeners (XYZ) because talking to Talleyrand in person would cost a quarter of a million dollars. Americans soon negotiated and this act subtly started an undeclared war with France.
- refers to the powers of the government found in the constitution in unwritten forms. Although some situations, such as the creation of the National Bank, are not specifically referred to in the constitution through the elastic clause they are not illegal or unconstitutional.Eventually this became an issue contributing to the formation of political parties.
- France and England start to seize American ships; starts an "unofficial war" btwn America and France; Causes the creation of 33 ships for a navy and ends long treaty with France
- one of nations first political parties,stemming from the anti-federalists, emerged around 1792, gradually became today's Democratic party.were pro-French, liberal, and mostly made up of the middle class. They favored a weak central govt., and strong states' rights.
- Given in 1796, when he retired from office. It wasn't given orally, but was printed in newspapers. It did not concern foreign affairs; most of it was devoted to domestic problems. He stressed that we should stay away from permanent alliances with foreign countries; temporary alliances wouldn't be quite as dangerous, but they should be made only in "extraordinary emergencies". He also spoke against partisan bitterness.
5 True/False questions
Daniel Shays → Chief Justice of the United States; in 1794 George Washington sent him to negotiate a treaty with England
Judiciary Act of 1789 → organized the Supreme Court, originally with five justices and a chief justice, along with several federal district and circuit courts. It also created the attorney general's office.
Tariff → Means having to do with agriculture.the farmers and plantation owners of the south. This was the society that Jefferson wanted to see become the future of America. He appreciated the many virtuous and beneficial characteristics.
Citizen Genet → He was a representative of the French Republic who came to America in order to recruit Americans to help fight in the French Revolution.
Whiskey Rebellion → A small rebellion, that began in Southwestern Pennsylvania in 1794 that was a challenge to the National Governments unjust use of an excise tax on an "economic medium of exchange"