5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- John Jay
- Henry Knox
- Jeffersonian Republicans
- Treaty of Greenville
- Bank of the United States
- a Gave America all of Ohio after General Mad Anthony Wayne battled and defeated the Indians at the Battle of Fallen Timbers.
- b was the first secretary of war; came to power in 1789; was the first to be entrusted with the infant army and navy.
- c one of nations first political parties,stemming from the anti-federalists, emerged around 1792, gradually became today's Democratic party.were pro-French, liberal, and mostly made up of the middle class. They favored a weak central govt., and strong states' rights.
- d either of the two National Banks, funded by the federal government and private investors, established by congress, the first in 1791 and the second in 1816
- e Chief Justice of the United States; in 1794 George Washington sent him to negotiate a treaty with England
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- signed in Paris that ended France's peacetime military alliance with America. Napoleon was eager to sign this treaty so he could focus his attention on conquering Europe and perhaps create a New World empire in Louisiana. This ended the "quasi-war" between France and America.
- Means having to do with agriculture.the farmers and plantation owners of the south. This was the society that Jefferson wanted to see become the future of America. He appreciated the many virtuous and beneficial characteristics.
- issued by George Washington, established isolationist policy, proclaimed government's official neutrality in widening European conflicts also warned American citizens about intervening on either side of conflict
- An attack made by American General "Mad Anthony Wayne" against invading Indians from the northwest. The defeat of the Indians ended the alliance made with the British and Indians.
- A small rebellion, that began in Southwestern Pennsylvania in 1794 that was a challenge to the National Governments unjust use of an excise tax on an "economic medium of exchange"
5 True/False Questions
XYZ affair → France and England start to seize American ships; starts an "unofficial war" btwn America and France; Causes the creation of 33 ships for a navy and ends long treaty with France
Washington's Farewell Address → Given in 1796, when he retired from office. It wasn't given orally, but was printed in newspapers. It did not concern foreign affairs; most of it was devoted to domestic problems. He stressed that we should stay away from permanent alliances with foreign countries; temporary alliances wouldn't be quite as dangerous, but they should be made only in "extraordinary emergencies". He also spoke against partisan bitterness.
Federalists → led by Alexander Hamilton and John Adams. They firmly believed the national government should be strong. They didn't want the Bill of Rights because they felt citizens' rights were already well protected by the Constitution
Implied powers → refers to the powers of the government found in the constitution in unwritten forms. Although some situations, such as the creation of the National Bank, are not specifically referred to in the constitution through the elastic clause they are not illegal or unconstitutional.Eventually this became an issue contributing to the formation of political parties.
Excise tax → a tax on the manufacturing of an item. Helped Hamilton to achieve his theory on a strong central government, supported by the wealthy manufacturers. This tax mainly targeted poor Western front corn farmers (Whiskey). This was used to demonstrate the power of the Federal Government, and sparked the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794.