viewed from only one direction.
Olmec: Colossal Head (1.40)
The visual impact of the this sculpture, is directly related to its mass
Forms that tend to be "IRREGULAR", and similar to "Naturally Occurring Objects", are known as ________ forms.
Shape that suggests "The Natural World".
An up-right sculpture with an incised relief on it's surface.
named from the french word "low" & "does not imply great depth".
A two - dimensional object.
A three - dimensional object.
A substance contained in an object.
Our experience from the natural world, leads us to assume that a LARGE object is Heavy. But, it does not necessarily imply weight.
This element of art, defines the amount of space occupied by an object.
The Space filled or enclosed by a 3-dimensional object.
The " Great Sphinx"
Features are: body of a lion, the wings of an eagle, and the head of a woman.
A symbolic guardian of the "Pyramids of Giza"
Defined by the ancient Greek as a "mythological creature"
Vladimir Tatlin's Monument
* The Thil International - intended to give this design of "Dynamism" from its spiral "Open Volume."
* Huge feats of engineering created by Egyptians. Has a "Geometric" form.
* Contrasts with the surrounding "Organic Landscape",
* Called "power and control over the natural world around them" by the Egyptians.
sides measuring 1 3/4 inch in difference of size.
forms such as pyramids
which tend to be "Precise & Regular"
Sculptors Ralph Helmick & Peter Schechter experimented with "Open Volume" by creating a hanging sculpture installed in the Evanstan Public Library in Illinois.
1 3/4 inches
The ancient Egyptians created huge structures. The precision with which these buildings were constructed is evident in that
the greatest difference in the length of the sides of the Great Pyramid of Khufu is ____
4 visual elements of art
form, volume, mass, and texture
Are three-dimensional works of art.
3-dimensional object : is called a form
* having 3 spatial measurements:
height, width, and depth.
In The round
* viewed from Nearly Every Angle
Because a form exists in "real" space we can experience it not only visually, but also through the sense of ________.
In his obey campaign poster, Shepard Fairey:
Used a striking contrast between
Positive & Negative Shapes to attract the attention of the public.
David Smith . In his work "CUBI XIX"
* Used "GEOMETRIC FORMS, using the following GEOMETRIC Shape = CUBOIDS.
Canaletto : drawing Ducal Palace in Venice
created an impression of 3-DIMENSIONS
using LINE to show the division between PLANES.
Miriam Scharpiro: collage Baby Blocks used 2 different types of shape:
Organic: describes a shape that suggests the NATURAL WORLD &
GEOMETRIC: suggest Mathematical Regularity.
Titian: the portrait of Isabella d'Este:
Wears a turban, embroidered clothes, & a white ermine stole to: EMPHASIZE-WEALTH & GOOD TASTE.
Ex: Virtigo & Suite Avec 7 Personages, & Automatic Ink Drawing
In the round: A sculpture can be viewed
Nearly Ever Angle
Rembrandt: by Robert Wittman: self-portrait : @National Museum Stockholm, Sweden.
* "Only known" portrait by Rembrandt that is painted "in COPPER".
* Stolen from the " National Museum, in Stockholm" in 2000 & attempted to be re-sold was then recovered in 2005.
* Orienting Lines so that they Attract Attention to a Specific Area of work.
Watts Towers: Simon Rodia : Orginally named "Nuestro Pueblo" :
* Was not a trained artist (construction worker)
* Made from steel/metal,glass, materials.
* Viewed once as " CONTROVERSIAL" &
Now a NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARK.
*Sculpture with Mosaic
Lincoln Memorial: building housing "The Lincoln Memorial": By: Damiel Chester (French)
* Based on the form of an "Ancient Greek Temple"
* Greek Architecture - symbolized Values important to Americans.
* The Outer-edge or Profile of an object.
* Ex: "Portrait of the Artist's Wife" STANDING- with hands on her hips using Contour line to represent her figure with "great economy" while being descriptive.
Obey: poster by: Shepard Fairey
* Uses Striking Contrast between:Positive & Negative Shapes to attract the attention of the public.
Dulcal Palace by: Canatello
created an impression of 3- dimensions:
* Used "LINE" to show the _division_ between "PLANES"
The Journey of Sun God Re; @ Fitzwilliam Museum :
Plastered & Painted wood
3rd interim. period 990-969 BCE
* Sun God Re in "the underworld at night"
Refers to egyptian beliefs about the "AFTERLIFE"
* Relects the Importance of Rivers in EGYPT.
Painting came from: inner "COFFIN"of Nespawershefi
The Hudson River Portfolio:
by: William G. Wall, Fort Edward
* Published in print,Hand Color Aqua tint
(printer- John Hill)
* Original: was "Watercolor".
* landscape w/ native Amer. women
*Reflects " Nation Building" & expansion of 19th century America.
Father Damian: By Marisol
Commissionedto be created
A Stout figure in Heavy Bronze which possesses Weighty Mass that communicates the strong beliefs & courageous determination of the Catholic Priest.
is the EDGE OF A SHAPE.
NOT = the outer edge of an object that is Contour
The Empty Space defined by it's surrounding.
The Shape defined by it's surrounding empty space.
A "MARK" that connects two points.
Or "Implied Mark" between two-end points.
Using texture to contradict PREVIOUS TACTILE experience,
*Artist can invite viewer's to
"Reconsider the World Around them".
Vertigo: by Mel Bocher
* used Regular Line.
* Because it is Controlled & Measured.
Suite Avec 7: by: John Dubufet
*exhibits IRREGULAR LINE.
Girl with Pearl Earrings : By Dutch artist Johannes Vermeer
SELF: by Marc Quinn
* Contemporary British Art
* CONTROVERSIAL exhibition was called: SENSATION
* held @ Brooklyn Museum in 1999
* The Medium: "the artist's BLOOD".
2- dimensional object:
is called a SHAPE
Having "Height & Width"
A line that is Suggested, but Not Actually Drawn.
* Created with Small Passages of Text.
* Can influence Visual Rhythm.
Shapes we can see where No Continuous Boundary Exist.
Dots or Lines that Do Not Connect.
Sphere (AT&T Logo
By: Saul Bass
suggested by dots or lines.
Object: by Meret Oppenheim (Swiss): Surrealist
* A Fur Lined TEA CUP & Saucer
* Imployed SUBVERSIVE texture, to contradict conscious logical experience.
* Belonging to the Surrealist: Art Movement;
who drew on "Ideas & images" from DREAMS & the UNCONSIOUS mind.
many empty spaces created using irregular boundary or horizontal members.