a large arc of rich, fertile, farmland that extends from the Persian Gulf to the Mediterranean Sea.
mixture of rich soil and tiny rocks.
way of supplying water to an area of land.
more than what is needed.
division of labor
type of arrangement in which each worker specializes in a particular task or job.
countryside areas where farmers lived.
consisted of a city and all the countryside around it.
Powerful ruler who sought to extend the Akkadian territory.
land with different territories and peoples under a single rule.
the worship of many gods.
the division of society by rank or class.
the world's first civilization
How does a civilization begin? (You do not have to memorize these steps. You should be able to recognize the correct order)
1. Hunter-gatherer groups settled between the Tigris and Euphrates River.
2. Farmers used the rich silt along the Tigris and Euphrates River to Farm.
3. Irrigation was used to control the water & grow more food.
4. Extra food meant fewer people had to farm the land.
5. People now had more time to specialize in jobs.
6. Large construction and irrigation jobs could now be done by specialized workers.
7. Rules and Laws were needed.
8. These complex settlements were now the first civilizations.
Sumerian Social Order
skilled craftspeople, merchants, and traders,
How did Sargon asstablish the world's first empire?
1. He used a permanent army.
2. Conquered neighboring city-states.
3. Expanded his empire to include all of Mesopotamia from the Persian Gulf to the Meditteranian Sea.