5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Trojan War
- Sophocles's Antigone
- a Beloved of Selene, in some stories he was a shepherd from Asia Minor. Both moon goddesses, Artemis and Selene share versions of the story. In some variants, he and Selene have 50 daughters together. Zeus' granted him eternal sleep and eternal youth.
- b The ten-year war began when Paris, son of Priam King of Troy, carried off Helen, wife of Menelaus. Priam was husband of Hecuba and father of Hector.
- c Daughter of Oedipus, she was put to death by Creon for burying her brother against Creon's wishes.
- d According to Orphism, Phanes is the firstborn of the gods, the "creator of everything" who hatches from the egg made (laid?) by Chronus (time).
- e Achilles 'prize' who Agamemnon takes from him at the beginning at the Iliad. The cause of his abscence from battle.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- the 3 headed dog who guards the gate of Hades, one of the 12 labors of Hercules was to abduct Cerberus
- daughter of Cepheus and Cassiopea, wife of Perseus
- The prophetess who accompanies Aeneas into the underworld in the Aenead.
- Mars, son of Zeus and Hera, god of war, "hated by the gods" according to Zeus
- Son of Prometheus and his wife, who repopulate the world by throwing stones (bones of their mother) over their shoulders as instructed by Themis. The stones he throws become men and the stones she throws become women.
5 True/False Questions
Zeus, Jupiter → Chief Olympian, rules the sky
Asclepious → Titan, personification of the stream of ocean that circles the disc of earth
Adonis → Achilles' mother, a nereiad married to Peleus a mortal King.
Hesiod → slayer of the Minotaur that Minos had kept in the labyrinth. The Minotaur was the offspring of Pasiphae and a bull.
Leda → Queen of Carthage who took refuge in a cave with Aeneas, where they had a liason. When he left her, Dido killed herself