5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Castor and Pollux
- Oracle of Delphi
- Helen of Troy
- a Spartan wife of Menelaus, her abduction by Paris was the cause of the Trojan War
- b "all gifts" woman created by Zeus as a punishment to mankind because of Prometheus' treachery in stealing fire for man. Hesiod says she has the face of a goddess and mind of a bitch.
- c Temple where the Pythia speaks for Apollo, Sayings: "Know Thyself" and "Nothing in Excess"
- d friend of Achilles who dies in the Iliad.
- e sons of Zeus and Leda, sailed with Jason in his quest for the Golden Fleece. They were worshiped as gods, and became the constellations Gemini.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- wife of Odysseus. Weaves a shroud for Laertes during the day and then unweaves it at night to put off her suiters.
- The ten-year war began when Paris, son of Priam King of Troy, carried off Helen, wife of Menelaus. Priam was husband of Hecuba and father of Hector.
- Titan, personification of the Sun, most of his attributes and myths were taken over by Apollo. Three children: Phaeton, Selene & Eos (Aurora, Dawn)
- Greek, wrote "Theogony" and "Works and Days"
- The prophetess who accompanies Aeneas into the underworld in the Aenead.
5 True/False Questions
Muses → the 9 daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne who inspire artists: Clio, Euterpe, Thalia, Melpomene, Terpsichore, Polyhymnia, Urania, Calliope, Erato
Phaedera → "all gifts" woman created by Zeus as a punishment to mankind because of Prometheus' treachery in stealing fire for man. Hesiod says she has the face of a goddess and mind of a bitch.
Ovid → Roman, wrote Metamorphosis
Agamemnon → talented weaver challenged by Athena to a contest. After the contest, Arachne hanged herself and, in remorse, Athena changed her into a spider
Sophocles's Antigone → Daughter of Oedipus, she was put to death by Creon for burying her brother against Creon's wishes.