5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a the 3 headed dog who guards the gate of Hades, one of the 12 labors of Hercules was to abduct Cerberus
- b the 9 daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne who inspire artists: Clio, Euterpe, Thalia, Melpomene, Terpsichore, Polyhymnia, Urania, Calliope, Erato
- c God of the winds
- d Beloved of Eos, Dawn. He was a member of the Trojan royal house. She requested that Zeus make him immortal but neglected to ask that he be eternally youthful. He eventually aged, withered, and finally turned into a grasshopper.
- e the greatest warrior of the Trojans, defeated by Achilles
5 Multiple choice questions
- Mars, son of Zeus and Hera, god of war, "hated by the gods" according to Zeus
- Phoenician princess abducted and carried to Crete by Zeus, who disguised himself in the form of a white bull.
- Earth, Mother of the titans
- son of Laertes, husband of Penelope. father of Telemachus. He survives the Trojan war and shipwreck and finally returns home after a total of 20 years.
- "all gifts" woman created by Zeus as a punishment to mankind because of Prometheus' treachery in stealing fire for man. Hesiod says she has the face of a goddess and mind of a bitch.
5 True/False questions
Heiros gamos → A Greek phrase that describes the archetypal sacred marriage between the Sky god and the Earth goddess that creates the universe.
Andromache → Trojan War: Hector's widow, mother of Astyanax
Ovid → Queen of Carthage who took refuge in a cave with Aeneas, where they had a liason. When he left her, Dido killed herself
Dido → Queen of Carthage who took refuge in a cave with Aeneas, where they had a liason. When he left her, Dido killed herself
Aeneas → Trojan war: brother of Agamemnon, husband of Helen