5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Immune modifiers
- a these may be used as adjunctive therapy, especially in some severe viral diseases such as severe cases of Hepatitis B or C.
- b inhibit protein synthesis --bacteriostatic. Primary use in the past has been in patients allergic to penicillin, but today they're frequently used in out-patient treatment because of the availability of once a day dosing. The have a HIGH rate of RESISTANCE.
- c what is the drug of choice for intranasal application to help prevent the spread of MRSA and can also be used topically as an anti-infective with skin lesions such as impetigo.
- d There has been a recent push to reduce ___________ use to prevent resistance.
- e draw blood 30 minutes before scheduled dose. measures the lowest level, therefore whether or not remaining in therapeutic range
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- macrolide that you begin taking 2 x a day, then once a day. must take with a minimum of 8 oz. of water on an EMPTY stomach. DO NOT TAKE WITH FRUIT JUICE, FOOD, or ANTACID
- refers to drugs, specifically antibiotics, that are effective against a wide range of bacteria, not just one specific bacteria
- antifungals contain the "________" family. Depending on the drug, they may be available PO, IV, and/or topical- including vaginal creme (Monistat, Nizoral, Sporonox, Diflucan, Lotrimin, and others
- what is the drug of choice for pneumocystosis pneumonia?
- inhibit bacterial DNA, rapidly bacteriocidal
5 True/False Questions
HIV → sulfonamides are primarily used for UTI and are drugs of choice for _____
peak → is quinine approved by the FDA?
floxacins → antifungal commonly used in the treatment of superficial mycoses (skin and scalp)
Amebiasis → antifungal commonly used PO in the treatment of onychomycosis (which is a fungal infection of nails) and topically for ringworm
Mycostatin → considered a urinary tract anti-infective. Problems include GI distress, hepatotoxicity, potential for pulmonary fibrosis, which may be irreversible, and also causes brownish rust colored urine.