5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- night of power
- Pilgrimage (hajj)
Muslims are expected to journey to Mecca in one's lifetime. The pilgrimage occurs over a six-day period in the last month of the year, and involves a complex set of rituals around Mecca
- b The letters of the consonantal root upon which the word ISLAM and MUSLIM is built. This is the same semitic root upon which the word "peace" (shalom) is built. Its primary meaning for Muslims is "surrender"
- c the pre-islamic center of trade and religion for arabs, which muhammad reformed into a center of monotheism
- d (1526-1857) Muslim empire in India. Persian form of the word "Mongol"
- e the celebration of the beginning of the revlatory experiences of muhammad as he received the Qur'an
5 Multiple choice questions
- (1300-1922) the Turkish-based empire. It captured constantinople in 1453, and for 1500's and 1600's was the world's leading empire
- "The Feast of the Sacrifice"or the "Great Feast". It marks the end of the pilgrimage to Mecca. Muslims offer a sacrifice on this occasion, commemorating Abraham's "sacrifice" of Ishmael.
- A book by Al-Ghazali, helped to renew Islam by emphasizing the necessity of religious experience.
- ("seveners")a shiite group, which disagrees with other shiites about who should have become the seventh imam
- Also known as the Arabian Nights. Vast collection of stories about life and fantasy in medieval Islam. (Aladdin and his magic lamp)
5 True/False questions
dhimmis → ("party") the largest minority, they maintain that valid leadership lies in the imam, a direct descendant of muhammad, through his daughter fatima and her husband ali.
Caliphate → ("successor") the leader of the islamic community after muhammad. They were not considered divinely inspired indivduals for muhammad was the last prophet
taj mahal →
beautiful mausoleum at Agra built by the Mogul emperor Shah Jahan (completed in 1649) in memory of his favorite wife
Sunni → the more traditional form, making up about 85% of Islam. They consider that valid leadership of islam lies in a caliph of muhhammad's tribe
Prayer (salat) → a tax on possessions and various levels of taxes in agriculture produce. the tax is used for poor relief and religious purposes, such as education and building of mosques