5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- muhammad's birthday
- a the succession of caliphs, leaders of sunni islam. The instution was terminated by the Turkish Republic in 1922. Attempts to revive was unsuccesful
- b (Mawlid) Celebration of Muhammad's Birthday DUHHH
("cube") a pre-islamic cubed building in mecca believed by muslims to have been built by Abraham. It is the center of the Muslim Pilgrimage
- d Mystical movement of islam. their name comes from the plain woolen garment they wore. One well-known group of Sufis are the Whirling Dervishes. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJIofU-0jC0)
- e practices vary, but male children are cicumcised from four years old or older
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- ("party") the largest minority, they maintain that valid leadership lies in the imam, a direct descendant of muhammad, through his daughter fatima and her husband ali.
- string of ______ consists of one hundred beads, divided into 3 sections. Used for the ninety-nine names of God.
- Celebrates the flight (hijra) of Muhammad from Mecca to Medina in 622 C.E. Marks the beginning of Muslim calender.
- ("surrender") the term for the religion of Muslims
- ("he who stands before") the leader of shiite community, in contrast to the caliph of the sunnis.
5 True/False Questions
mecca → Muhammad established his first Islamic government there after fleeing from Mecca
fasting (sawm) → For the entire month of Ramadan, Muslims fast from dawn to dusk. Few exceptions allowed (i.e. pregnant women). Fast prohibits food, drink, and sexual relations.
wahhabi → in shiite tradition, the hidden imam who will return at the end of the world
Quran/ Koran → tribe that controlled mecca
Kharijites → ("to go out, leave") Early supporters of Ali, who withdrew their loyalty when Ali agreed to submit his leadership claim to arbitration