5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- night of power
- prayer beads / rosary
- a the third most holy city of Islam. Muslims believe that it was here that abraham offered ishmael as a sacrafice and that muhammad ascended to heaven
- b attempted to establish a new religion based on elements of various religions
- c ("The Opening") First Surah of Quran is used as a common prayer by Muslims, being repeated at least seventeen times a day.
- d string of ______ consists of one hundred beads, divided into 3 sections. Used for the ninety-nine names of God.
- e the celebration of the beginning of the revlatory experiences of muhammad as he received the Qur'an
5 Multiple choice questions
- When Islam discouraged pictorial art, handwriting became an art, feat. words from the Quran.
- Celebrates the flight (hijra) of Muhammad from Mecca to Medina in 622 C.E. Marks the beginning of Muslim calender.
- after the death of muhammad, the muslim community was led by four contemporaries of muhammad (Abu bakr, Umar, Uthman and Ali)
- a scholar of one of the schools of laws in the sunni tradition
- ("recitation") The Islamic Scripture, consisting of 114 Chapters of material that muhammad recorded during twenty-three years of religious experiences.
5 True/False questions
imam → ("he who stands before") the leader of shiite community, in contrast to the caliph of the sunnis.
prayer mat → used by muslims at prayer. The mat is designed to be pointed in the direction of Mecca
minaret → ("he who stands before") the leader of shiite community, in contrast to the caliph of the sunnis.
thousand and one nights → ("recitation") The Islamic Scripture, consisting of 114 Chapters of material that muhammad recorded during twenty-three years of religious experiences.
mosque → ("place of prostration") the center of muslim community and religious life. Its most distinctive arch, feature is the minaret (tower) from which the call to prayer is made