5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Insulin-Like Growth Factor
- Atrial Natriuretic Peptide
- a circulates in blood plasma and directly stimulates bone and cartilage growth
- b secreted from the adrenal cortex, aids the body during stress by increasing glucose levels and suppressing immune system function
- c A peptide hormone secreted by cardiac atrial cells in response to atrial distension (increased blood flow); causes increased renal sodium excretion and as such lowers blood pressure (antagonizing aldosterone).
- d thyroid hormone similar to thyroxine but with one less iodine atom per molecule and produced in smaller quantity
- e Works w/ insulin & glucagon to maintain normal blood sugar
5 Multiple choice questions
- This hormone ensures a sufficient supply of protein, glucose, and minerals are available to the fetus.
- adrenaline; activates a sympathetic nervous system by making the heart beat faster, stopping digestion, enlarging pupils, sending sugar into the bloodstream, preparing a blood clot faster
- vasoconstrictor that results in an increase in blood pressure
- Produced by the thyroid gland and decreases the blood calcium levels by stimulating calcium deposit in the bones (__________ keeps the bone in). The antagonist of the parathyroid hormone.
- One of the hormones produced by the ovaries. It works with estrogen to control the menstrual cycle. Also secreted to prepare and sustain the endometrium of the uterus for pregnancy
5 True/False questions
Testosterone → a naturally occurring weak estrogenic hormone secreted by the mammalian ovary
Thymosin → hormone produced by the thyroid glands to regulate metabolism by controlling the rate of oxidation in cells
Dopamine → neurotransmitter; endocrine function = inhibits prolactin release
Prostacyclins → chiefly prevents formation of the platelet plug in hemostasis (part of blood clotting); it does this by inhibiting platelet activation; antagonist to thromboxanes
Prostaglandins → have an immediate, short-term localized effect, involved in inflammation and pain, blood flow, and blood clotting, as well as other factors