5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Corticotropin Releasing Hormone
- Antidiuretic Hormone
- a fatty molecules of the immune system that regulate inflammation, especially in the lungs; they are heavily involved in the problems associated with asthma and bronchitis
- b a hunger-arousing hormone secreted by an empty stomach
- c a weak androgen; the chief androgen produced by the adrenal cortex
- d signals the release of adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) from the pituitary
- e promotes water retention, in high concentrations is also a vasoconstrictor. both of these effects raise the blood pressure
5 Multiple choice questions
- chiefly prevents formation of the platelet plug in hemostasis (part of blood clotting); it does this by inhibiting platelet activation; antagonist to thromboxanes
- released by the stomach in the presence of food; gastrin promotes muscular activity of the stomach as well as secretion of hydrochloric acid, pepsinogen, and mucus
- hormone produced by the thyroid glands to regulate metabolism by controlling the rate of oxidation in cells
- Produced by the thymus gland during childhood, this hormone stimulates T-lymphocyte development and differentiation.
- neurotransmitter found in several brain areas, most notably the hypothalamus, that stimulates eating behavior and reduces metabolism, promoting positive energy balance and weight gain
5 True/False questions
Luteinizing hormone → WOMEN: regulates estrogen secretion and ovum development; MEN: testosterone production
Oxytocin → Produced by the thymus gland during childhood, this hormone stimulates T-lymphocyte development and differentiation.
Thrombopoietin → Function not well understood, affects nuclear architecture, two receptors specific to __________ have been found on human T-cells
Insulin → Hormone produced by the pancreas that is released when stimulated by elevated glucose levels. This hormone decreases blood sugar levels by accelerating the transport of glucose into the body cells where it is oxidized for energy or converted to glycogen or fat for storage.
Calcitonin → steroid hormone produced by the kidneys in response to the presence of PTH; stimulates calcium and phosphate ion absorption in the digestive tract; the active form of Vitamin D