7 Written Questions
6 Multiple Choice Questions
- The metabolism that takes place in the absence of oxygen; the principle product is lactic acid.
- metabolic rate determined in a thermal neutral environment, 12 to 18 hours after a meal, immediately after rising in a resting, supine position.
- performance of light physical activity immediately after an exercise bout to aid recovery
- determination of the metabolic rate of an organism by direct measurement of the amount of heat produced.
- a process in which simple substances are synthesized into more complex substances.
- chemical process involved in the production and breakdown of cellular ATP
6 True/False Questions
ATP-PC System → use of energy obtained from intramuscular ATP and phosphocreatine stores to perform cellular activities, normally utilized during short-duration, high-intentsity physical activity
aerobic metabolism → second stage of metabolism, requiring the presence of oxygen, in which the breakdown of glucose (in a process called the Krebs or citric acid cycle) yields a high amount of energy.
catabolic reaction → a process in which simple substances are synthesized into more complex substances.
adenosine triphosphate (ATP) → a high energy phosphate molecule synthesized and used by cells for energy to perform cellular activities
deamination → The removal of an amino group (-NH2) from an amino acid or other organic compound.
excess post oxygen consumption (EPOC) → a series of chemical reactions that take place in the mitochondria, involving cytochromes, that result in the production of ATP and water