← Chapter 8 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- New Jersey Plan
- William Patterson
- Northwest Territory
- John Jay, Alexander Hamilton, James Madison
- a People who supported the Constitution
- b Included land from the states of Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and part of Minnesota
- c Plan for one house and representation would be equal for all states.
- d The three men who wrote The Federalist Papers.
- e Presented the New Jersey Plan
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Father of the Constitution
- People who were against the Constitution
- 1. Lacked power to enforce laws (no power to put down rebellions) 2. Lacked power to levy taxes (no way to raise money for roads, schools) 3. Lacked power to regulate trade among states (made trade difficult between states because of taxes on goods as they passed through each state) 4. Required all 13 states to approve changes in the Articles (made it difficult to make any changes in laws)
- 1st plan for a national government developed at the 1776 Continental Congress
- He said he "smelled a rat in Philadelphia, tending toward monarchy".
5 True/False Questions
Federalism → System of government in which power is shared between the central government and the states.
Strengths of Articles of Confederation → 1. Governed nation during the American Revolutionary War (raised army, paid soldiers) 2. Negotiated the Treaty of Paris at end of war (established independence from Britain and set boundaries for US) 3. Passed the Land Ordinance of 1785 - (townships and free public education) 4. Passed the Northwest Ordinance how new territory settled and settlers' rights (Outlawed slavery, guaranteed freedom of religion, trial by jury)
Virginian Plan → Plan for one house and representation would be equal for all states.
Edmund Randolph → Presented the Virginia Plan
republic → System of government in which power is shared between the central government and the states.