5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- James Madison quote
- Three-Fifths compromise
- Weaknesses of Articles of Confederation
- a System of government in which power is shared between the central government and the states.
- b The people choose representative for them.
- c Said, "If men were angels, no government would be necessary."
- d 1. Lacked power to enforce laws (no power to put down rebellions) 2. Lacked power to levy taxes (no way to raise money for roads, schools) 3. Lacked power to regulate trade among states (made trade difficult between states because of taxes on goods as they passed through each state) 4. Required all 13 states to approve changes in the Articles (made it difficult to make any changes in laws)
- e Compromise that settled the issue of how to count slaves in the southern states. Three-fifths of the slave population would be counted when setting direct taxes on states and the three-fifths ratio would be used to determine representation in the legislature.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Presented the Virginia Plan
- Surveyors staked out six mile square plots called Townships.
- People who were against the Constitution
- 1st plan for a national government developed at the 1776 Continental Congress
- 1. Governed nation during the American Revolutionary War (raised army, paid soldiers) 2. Negotiated the Treaty of Paris at end of war (established independence from Britain and set boundaries for US) 3. Passed the Land Ordinance of 1785 - (townships and free public education) 4. Passed the Northwest Ordinance how new territory settled and settlers' rights (Outlawed slavery, guaranteed freedom of religion, trial by jury)
5 True/False Questions
Shay's Rebellion → Rebels take over a Massachusetts courthouse and farmers won the sympathy of many people. Showed weakness in Articles of Confederation
Patrick Henry → The people choose representative for them.
New Jersey Plan → Plan for one house and representation would be equal for all states.
Executive Compromise → Compromise that settled the issue of representation in Congress - the Senate would give each state equal representation, and the House of Representatives would have representation based on on state's population
James Madison → Said, "If men were angels, no government would be necessary."