5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a Arrangement of repeated thoughts in the pattern of X Y Y X. It is often short and summarizes a main idea.
- b the word, phrase, or clause to which a pronoun refers.
- c The branch of linguistics that studies that meaning of words, their historical and psychological development, their connotations, and their relation to one another.
- d The central idea or message of a work, the insight it offers into life. Usually, __ is unstated in fictional works, but in nonfiction, the __ may be directly stated, especially in expository or argumentative writing.
- e When a writer uses the same term in two different senses in an argument.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Indicated by a series of three periods, the __ indicates that some material has been omitted from a given text.
- The purpose of this rhetorical mode is to explain and analyze information by presenting an idea, relevant evidence, and appropriate discussion.
- Commas used (with no conjunction) to separate a series of words. The parts are emphasized equally when the conjunction is omitted; in addition, the use of commas with no intervening conjunction speeds up the flow of the sentence. X, Y, Z as opposed to X, Y, and Z.
- from the Greek meaning "to tear flesh," ___ involves bitter, caustic language that is meant to hurt or ridicule someone or something. It may use irony as a device.
- The act of interpreting or discovering the meaning of a text. __ usually involves close reading and special attention to figurative language.
5 True/False questions
Epigraph → The use of a quotation at the beginning of a work that hints at its theme. Hemingway begins The Sun Also Rises with two. One of them is "You are all a lost generation" by Gertrude Stein.
Annotation → the literal or dictionary meaning of a word
Symbol → generally, anything that represents, stands for, something else. Usually, a ___ is something concrete—such as an object, action, character, or scene—that represents something more abstract.
Mood → generally, anything that represents, stands for, something else. Usually, a ___ is something concrete—such as an object, action, character, or scene—that represents something more abstract.
Rhetorical Modes → The flexible term describes the variety, the conventions, and the purposes of the major kinds of writing.