5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Lord North 1770
- Sons of Liberty
- Sugar Act of 1764
- 5 people helping to draft the Declaration
- Trial of soldiers
- a New Prime Minister, repeals some of the townshend Acts but lets the Declaratory Act expire. Under him, govenors and Judgeswould now have their salaries paid by England and the colonists knew this meant now that the govs. and judges were in Englands pocket.
- b Samuel Adams, Paul Revere-famous ride,John Hanncock,James Otis- No taxation without representation(just a slogan)
- c John Adams, Ben Franklin, Robert Livingston, Roger Sherman, and Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Jefferson was the writer of the declaration
- d Taxed foriegn sugar, mollases, and several other things
- e John Adams defends the soldiers. 7 equitted while 2 are accused of manslaughter, branded on the hands and free to go.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Petition passed by 2nd continental congress pledging its loyalty to england and asking for a peaceful end to the conflict. King George the III rejects it and orders British ships to blockade all shipping to the colonies.
- Some wanted to establish an immeadiate Declaration of independence while others urged restraint. People brought up the idea of a continental army but most colonists were in the same page that something had to be done.
- Lack of Indian morale,loss of french aid, and shortage of supplies, plus winter was approaching and they had no food because all they had been doing was fighting.
- Actually lowered the existing tax that had been set previously but ignored.
- A paper sent to King George the III, pledging loyalty to England, but stating colonists rights as British power. Maintained colonists had the right to "free and exclusive power of legislation in their several provincial legislatures. Also, delagates called for a ban on all trade with England. They said if their demands weren't met they would meet again in 1775 and they did.
5 True/False Questions
The Boston Massacre → Governor Hutchinson ignores colonists demands that 3 shiploads of tea from Britian be sent back. So the Sonds of Liberty in the middle of the night board the ships dressed in indian manner, dump all 342 chests of English Tea, in 3 hours, into the harbor. This showed england how serious the colonies were about their liberty. Some colonists cheered the teas destruction while others were shocked by the disregard of property rights.
Stamp Act Congress → 9 delegates from 9 colonies create a more unified resistance and draft Declaration of Rights which states only colonial taxes can be put on them.
King George saw this as the last straw → Wrote to Lord North: "Blows must decide." Then orders General Thomas Gage to put done the rebellion and he marches to Concord to seize rebel military supplies.
Result and important people → Taxed placed on all printed material. People prtested it harshly because they felt that they weren't represented in parlament. Sons of Liberty was formed in protest to the Act.
Stamp Act of 1765 → Taxed placed on all printed material. People prtested it harshly because they felt that they weren't represented in parlament. Sons of Liberty was formed in protest to the Act.