5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- a a term used to describe universal symbols that evoke deep and sometimes unconscious responses in a reader. In literature characters images and themes that symbolically embody universal meanings and basic human experiences
- b the central character of a literary work
- c a protagonist who has the opposite of most of the traditional attributes of a hero. [A character who] may be bewildered ineffectual deluded or merely pathetic.
- d the collection of images within a literary work. Used to evoke atmosphere mood tension. For example images of crowded steaming sidewalks flanking streets choked with lines of shimmering smoking cars suggests oppressive heat and all the psychological tensions that go with it.
- e "is an incorrect usage of a word usually with comic effect. ""He is the very pineapple of politeness."""
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- characterized by gloom and mystery and the grotesque; gothic novels include Frankenstein
- A brief quotation which appears at the beginning of a literary work.
- a Greek word that implies rule or law and is used in literature as the source which regulates which selection of authors or works would be considered important pieces of literature.
- A literary work which is amusing and ends happily. Modern ______ tend to be funny while Shakespearean _____ simply end well.
- A controversial argument especially one refuting or attacking a specific opinion or doctrine.
5 True/False Questions
Inversion → reversal of the normal order of words for dramatic effect
Framing Device → A story in which one or more other stories are told. Examples include the Prologue to the Canterbury Tales and the play at the beginning of the Taming of the Shrew.
Metaphor → a type of figurative language in which a statement is made that says that one thing is something else but literally it is not. In connecting one object event or place to another a _____ can uncover new and intriguing qualities of the original thing that we may not normally notice or even consider important. _____ language is used in order to realize a new and different meaning.
Naturalism → a style of art in which objects are stripped down to their elemental geometric form and presented in an impersonal manner. In literature _____ use short descriptions and simple sentences.
Parable → a brief and often simple narrative that illustrates a moral or religious lesson. Some of the best-known are in the Bible where Jesus uses them to teach his disciples.