5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Lester Frank Ward
- Hiram Revels and Blanche K. Bruce
- 5. The ways in which railroads influenced western development
- Helen Hunt Jackson, A Century of Dishonor
- Henry W. Grady and the "New South Creed"
- a Hiram Revels was a Black Mississippi senator elected to the seat that had been occupied by Jefferson Davis when the South seceded
Blanche K. Bruce was an American politician. Bruce represented Mississippi as a U.S. Senator from 1875 to 1881 and was the first black to serve a full term in the Senate.
- b sociologist who wrote Dynamic Sociology in 1883 and other books , in which he argued that civilization was not governed by natural selection but by human intelligence, which was capable of shaping society as it wished, and he believed that an active government engaged in positive planning, which was societies best hope.
- c ...
- d -sought to rally public opinion against the government's record of broken treaty obligations
-Her book exposed the unjust manner in which the US government had treated the Indians.
-protested the Dawes Severalty Act.
- e Grady- This newspaper editor of the Atlanta Constitution encouraged S economic growth & proclaimed the boundless industrial potential.
NSC - The belief that the S unprecedented natural resourced and cheap labor, they argued made it a natural site for industrial development.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Name given to paper money issued by the government during the Civil War, so called because the back side was printed with green ink. They were not redeemable for gold, but $300 million were issued anyway. Farmers hit by the depression wanted to inflate the notes to cover losses, but Grant vetoed an inflation bill and greenbacks were added to permanent circulation. In 1879 the federal government finally made greenbacks redeemable for gold.
- issuing stock certificates far in excess of the value of a corporation's assets; stock in a company that has overissued in this manner is called "watered stock"
- During an economic depression, railroad companies cut wages in order to reduce costs. A strike on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad quickly spread and shut down two-thirds of the country's rail trackage. President Rutherford Hayes used federal troops to end the violence. Hundreds of people died. After the strike, some employers addressed the workers' grievances by improving wages and working conditions, while others took a hard line by busting workers' organizations.
- -led the Nez Perces on their flee to Canada
5 True/False questions
Wabash v. Illinois, 1886 → declared state-passed granger laws that regulated interstate commerce unconstitutional.
8. Why land was not redistributed in the South and the consequences of leaving land concentrated in the hands of white planters → -created immense new international products
-issued stock to meet their huge capital needs
-used the separation of ownership from management
-created the first national distribution and marketing systems
-formulated new organizational and management structures
13. The contrasts between the West of the dime novels, the symbolic West of eastern intellectuals and artists, and the real West → ...
Jay Gould → an organized refusal to buy or use products or services so as to put pressure on producers to change their behavior
Bland-Allison Act of 1878 → Last major piece of Reconstruction legislation this law prohibited racial discriminations in all public accommodations, transportation, places of amusement, and juries. Law was poorly enforced.