5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Dawes Severalty Act, 1887
- 12. Why, by the 1870s, the Republicans had lost interest in remaking the South
- Great Railroad Strike of 1877
- "Exodus" movement
- Chief Joseph
- a During an economic depression, railroad companies cut wages in order to reduce costs. A strike on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad quickly spread and shut down two-thirds of the country's rail trackage. President Rutherford Hayes used federal troops to end the violence. Hundreds of people died. After the strike, some employers addressed the workers' grievances by improving wages and working conditions, while others took a hard line by busting workers' organizations.
- b Refers to the mass movement of african americans from states along the mississippi river to kansas in the late nineteenth century, and was the first general migration of blacks following the civil war.
- c -led the Nez Perces on their flee to Canada
- d ...
- e -designed to reform Indian's absence of property and their nomadic tradition by turning them into landowners and farmers
-emphasized severalty, or the treatment of Indians as individuals rather than as members of tribes, and called for the breakup of the reservations
--provided for the distribution of 160 acres of reservation land for farming, or 320 acres for grazing, to each head of an Indian family who accepted the law's provisions
-the remaining reservation lands (often the richest) were to be sold to speculators and settlers, and the income thus obtained would go toward purchase of farm tools
-to prevent unscrupulous people from gaining control of the lands granted to individual Indians, the government would hold the property of each tribal member in trust for 25 years. Those Indians who accepted allotments would in 25 years also be declared citizens of the U.S. with all the rights and responsibilities that attended such status, including the protection of federal laws and requirement to pay taxes
-had supported from western speculators, military authorities,and "friends of the Indian" like Helen Hunt Jackson
-most of the best land went to speculators and the Natives land was too dry and gravelly for farming
Bill that promised indians tracts of land to farm in order to assimilate them into white culture. the bill was resisted, uneffective, and disastrous to indian tribes
5 Multiple choice questions
- the legal situation in which property, such as land, is held or owned by separate or individual right, as opposed to collective ownership
- Denied any additional Chinese laborers to enter the country while allowing students and merchants to immigrate.
- -investment banker
-gained control of many railroads; he took over weakened systems, reorganized their administration, refinanced their debts, and but intersystem alliances
-headed up Federal Steel which he ended up combining with Carnegie Steel after he bought Carnegie's shares
-the new company was called United States Steel Corporation
-first business capitalized at more than $1 billion
5 True/False questions
John M. Chivington and the Sand Creek Massacre → ...
Credit Mobilier → disdainful, dismissive, showing superiority toward others
Reconstruction Act of 1867 → Four statutes known as Reconstruction Acts following the Civil War. They created five military districts in the seceded states; each district was headed by a military official empowered to appoint state officials; voters (whites and freed blacks) were to be registered; states were to draft new constitutions providing for black male suffrage; states were required to ratify the 14th Amendment.
Chief Dull Knife → -led 150 survivors from the Battle of Little Big Horn north in September 1878 to join the Sioux
-they were chased down by the army and imprisoned in Fort Robinson, Nebraska
-when the army denied their request to stay nearer to their traditional northern lands, tribal leaders refused to leave the fort. The post commander then withheld all food, water and fuel
-January 1879, Dull Knife and his followers shot the guards and broke for freedom. Members of the startled garrison chased the Indians and gunned down half of them in the snow, including women, children, and Dull Knife himself
lobby → an agreement among formerly competing companies to set uniform prices and divide the business among themselves according to a predetermined formula; the purpose is to maximize profits by ending competition