5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- In comparison to the composition of carbohydrates and fats, which element found in proteins makes them unique?
- When two amino acids are chemically joined together, the resulting structure is called a
- In what organ is pepsin active
- Approximately how many different amino acids are used in the synthesis of body proteins?
- In comparison to the well-defined structure of starch, which of the following is the most important factor that allows for the synthesis of thousands of different proteins?
a. number of cell ribosomes
b. number of different amino acids
c. availability of amino acids containing sulfur
d. availability of amino acids containing hydroxyl groups
- a a. dipeptide
- b b. number of different amino acids
- c c. Nitrogen
- d stomach
- e c. 20
5 Multiple choice questions
- d. 20 amino acids bonded together
- b. Three amino acids bonded together
- b. an essential mineral
- c. denaturation
- d. 20
5 True/False questions
Which of the following elements is found in certain amino acids?
d. Potassium → b. It must be supplied by the diet
A dispensable amino acid is one that
a. is not needed by the body
b. can be synthesized by the body
c. can be used to synthesize an indispensable amino acid
d. cannot be synthsized by the body because of a genetic defect → b. glycine
Which of the following is a feature of hemoglobin?
a. It has not tertiary structure
b. It holds the mineral calcium
c. It is constructed of 4 polypeptide chains
d. It has no primary or secondary structure → c. It is constructed of 4 polypeptide chains
what is the process by which heat or acidity disrupts the noral shape of the protein chain?
d. hydrogenation → c. denaturation
What type of reaction is required to bind two molecules of glycine together and release a molecule of water?
d. Condensation → b. tyrosine