5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Which of the following is the primary factor that differentiates one amino acid from another?
a. The side group
b. The central carbon atom
c. The number of oxygen atoms
d. the number of nitrogen
- All of the following are contained in an amino acid except?
a. an acid group
b. an amino group
c. an aldehyde group
d. a central carbon atom
- What digestive enzyme would be most affected in people who are unable to produce hydrochloric acid?
c. pancreatic protease
d. intestinal peptidase
- In comparison to the well-defined structure of starch, which of the following is the most important factor that allows for the synthesis of thousands of different proteins?
a. number of cell ribosomes
b. number of different amino acids
c. availability of amino acids containing sulfur
d. availability of amino acids containing hydroxyl groups
- What type of reaction is required to bind two molecules of glycine together and release a molecule of water?
- a c. an aldehyde group
- b b. number of different amino acids
- c a. pepsin
- d d. Condensation
- e a. The side group
5 Multiple choice questions
- b. tyrosine
- b. Sulfur
- b. an essential mineral
- c. pepsinogen
5 True/False questions
An example of a protein with quaternary polypeptide structure is
d. disulfide bridges → d. Nitrogen
How many different kinds of amino acids make up proteins? → d. 20
Which of the following is a feature on an essential amino acid?
a. It is not necessary in the diet
b. It must be supplied by the diet
c. It can be made from fat in the body
d. It can be made from glucose in the body → b. It must be supplied by the diet
Which of the following is a feature of hemoglobin?
a. It has not tertiary structure
b. It holds the mineral calcium
c. It is constructed of 4 polypeptide chains
d. It has no primary or secondary structure → c. It is constructed of 4 polypeptide chains
In comparison to the composition of carbohydrates and fats, which element found in proteins makes them unique?
d. Hydrogen → c. Nitrogen