5 Written questions
4 Matching questions
- Harry and Margaret Harlow
- intimate early social interaction
- organic solidarity
- a T or F: In Piaget's model for children's development of reasoning skills, the term "reasoning skills" is synonymous with the term "operational" as it is used in the theory.
- b The research in the early 1960s using rhesus monkeys to demonstrate the importance of intimate physical contact in the rearing of animals was conducted by ________.
- c Based on studies of isolated and institutionalized children, what is the key variable in acquiring the basic "human" traits we take for granted?
- d According to Durkheim, when a society increases in size, its division of labor becomes more specialized. People begin to depend upon one another and become interdependent. This form of social cohesion was a concept that he termed ________.
5 Multiple choice questions
- An approach to social interaction in which social life is analyzed in terms of the stage is called ________.
- The typical patterns of a group, such as its usual relationships between men and women or students and teachers, are referred to as ________.
- Of the following traits and abilities, which one would George Herbert Mead consider MOST essential for an individual to be a full-fledged member of society?
- Milo, a highly successful attorney, just received a $200 ticket for speeding. Jim, an unemployed father of six, received a $50 fine for parking in a restricted area. Milo considers his $200 ticket an inconvenience, but Jim sees his $50 fine as a financial disaster. Why do Milo and Jim feel so differently about their fines, even though Milo's is four times greater than Jim's?
- Which of the following statements BEST describes how stereotypes affect our interaction with others when we first meet?
5 True/False questions
Erving Goffman → The presentation of self in everyday life, also called dramaturgy, was developed by ________
I → T or F: The sociological significance of social structure is that it guides our behavior.
Erving Goffman → Hilda is studying at the library. She has placed her coat on the chair next to her and has spread books in front of the other chairs. Hilda is trying to extend her ________ so others do not invade it.
These are examples of her ascribed status → Jane is a 49-year-old woman of Irish-German descent. What do these characteristics have in common?
suspend Frank's driving privileges for a month and discuss with Frank the dangers of drinking and driving → Frank is the son of a middle-class family. He took the family car without permission last night, returning home at 3 AM with the smell of alcohol on his breath. It is most likely, based on the research of Kohn, that the next day Frank's parents will ________.