5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- These are examples of her ascribed status
- We occupy a status, we play a role
- They are a group
- Erving Goffman
- a Jane is a 49-year-old woman of Irish-German descent. What do these characteristics have in common?
- b The difference between status and role is that ________.
- c The presentation of self in everyday life, also called dramaturgy, was developed by ________.
- d Leo, Ryan, and Matthew regularly interact with one another and share similar values, norms, and expectations. In view of this, which concept MOST applies to their relationship?
- e True or False Without language there can be no culture, no shared way of life.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The research in the early 1960s using rhesus monkeys to demonstrate the importance of intimate physical contact in the rearing of animals was conducted by ________.
- Which statement regarding status is MOST accurate?
- John joined the military this year. When he arrived at boot camp he was immediately greeted with a degradation ceremony and came under total control of the officials. The military is an example of a(n) ________.
- Hilda is studying at the library. She has placed her coat on the chair next to her and has spread books in front of the other chairs. Hilda is trying to extend her ________ so others do not invade it.
- The typical patterns of a group, such as its usual relationships between men and women or students and teachers, are referred to as ________.
5 True/False questions
Stereotypes are the assumptions we make that can become self-fulfilling prophecies. → Jane is a 49-year-old woman of Irish-German descent. What do these characteristics have in common?
organic solidarity → According to Durkheim, when a society increases in size, its division of labor becomes more specialized. People begin to depend upon one another and become interdependent. This form of social cohesion was a concept that he termed ________.
intimate early social interaction → John joined the military this year. When he arrived at boot camp he was immediately greeted with a degradation ceremony and came under total control of the officials. The military is an example of a(n) ________.
how we want others to perceive us → In the context of dramaturgy, impression management deals with ____________.
stereotyping → Believing that all football players are academically challenged, that all African Americans are great athletes, and that all women can cook well are examples of ________.