5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Harry and Margaret Harlow
- intimate early social interaction
- Social structure
- a The research in the early 1960s using rhesus monkeys to demonstrate the importance of intimate physical contact in the rearing of animals was conducted by ________.
- b T or F: All master statuses are achieved statuses
- c The typical patterns of a group, such as its usual relationships between men and women or students and teachers, are referred to as ________.
- d Based on studies of isolated and institutionalized children, what is the key variable in acquiring the basic "human" traits we take for granted?
- e T or F: The sociological significance of social structure is that it guides our behavior.
5 Multiple choice questions
- T or F: As a child's experiences with agents of socialization broadens, the influence of the family increases.
- The presentation of self in everyday life, also called dramaturgy, was developed by ________.
- In ethnomethodology, the ideas we take for granted that underlie our behavior and that we violate at our risk are called ________.
- Of the following traits and abilities, which one would George Herbert Mead consider MOST essential for an individual to be a full-fledged member of society?
- John joined the military this year. When he arrived at boot camp he was immediately greeted with a degradation ceremony and came under total control of the officials. The military is an example of a(n) ________.
5 True/False questions
dramaturgy → T or F: In Piaget's model for children's development of reasoning skills, the term "reasoning skills" is synonymous with the term "operational" as it is used in the theory.
personal space → T or F: All master statuses are achieved statuses
Their location in the social structure has created the difference between Milo's and Jim's reactions. → Milo, a highly successful attorney, just received a $200 ticket for speeding. Jim, an unemployed father of six, received a $50 fine for parking in a restricted area. Milo considers his $200 ticket an inconvenience, but Jim sees his $50 fine as a financial disaster. Why do Milo and Jim feel so differently about their fines, even though Milo's is four times greater than Jim's?
True → Mead describes the active, creative, and spontaneous part of the self as the ________.
Stereotypes are the assumptions we make that can become self-fulfilling prophecies. → Jane is a 49-year-old woman of Irish-German descent. What do these characteristics have in common?