5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Grand Canal
- Ying Yang
- Ming Dynasty
- Zheng He
- a A Taoist Symbol That shows the balance of right and wrong., Forces of nature, yin- negative, weak, dark, female. yang- bright, positive, strong, male. Each balance each other out, needs to be perfect.
- b An imperial eunuch and Muslim, entrusted by the Ming emperor Yongle with a series of state voyages that took his gigantic ships through the Indian Ocean, from Southeast Asia to Africa. (pp. 355, 422)
- c an inland waterway 1000 miles long in eastern China, The 1,100-mile (1,700-kilometer) waterway linking the Yellow and the Yangzi Rivers. It was begun in the Han period and completed during the Sui Empire. (p. 277)
- d feudal Japanese military aristocracy
- e the imperial dynasty of China from 1368 to 1644, A major dynasty that ruled China from the mid-fourteenth to the mid-seventeenth century. It was marked by a great expansion of Chinese commerce into East Africa, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia
5 Multiple choice questions
- story of Prince Genji and his lovers, written by Lady Murasaki Shikibu at end of 11th century, world's first full novel, story of Prince Genji and his lovers, written by Lady Murasaki Shikibu; believed to be the world's first full novel
- -Mongol Peace-used to describe the eased communication and commerce the unified administration helped to create, a phrase coined by Western scholars to describe the alleged stabilizing effects of the conquest of the Mongol Empire on the social, cultural and economic life of the inhabitants of the vast Eurasian territory they conquered in the 13th and 14th centuries
- independent state that has to acknowledge the supremacy of another state and pay tribute to its ruler, These are regions or colonies who become subordinates of a more powerful state as a means to control slaves and to provide exclusive trading rights to foreign regions.
- one of the great Yi rulers, ordered bronze instruments to be used in measuring rain, and created simplified writing
- A popular type of Japanese drama combined with music and dance, it is the type of theatre in Japan(Played buy all male actors)
5 True/False questions
uji → a clan; each clan had their own cheif, The Yayoi lived in these clans. The clans were headed by a single patriarchal figure who served as both a war-chief and as a priest. They had no system of writing or money; they dressed largely in clothes made from hemp or bark. Marriages were frequently polygamous, but women held a fairly prominent place in the society. The relationships were complex; slowly, territorial conflict gradually produced what came close to small states.
Kublai Khan → Mongolian emperor of China and grandson of Genghis Khan who completed his grandfather's conquest of China
Gentry → In China, the class of prosperous families, next in wealth below the rural aristocrats, from which the emperors drew their administrative personnel. (166)
Genghis Khan → Mongolian emperor of China and grandson of Genghis Khan who completed his grandfather's conquest of China
Koryo Dynasty → Korean dynasty that opened schools and made neo-Confucianism the state doctrine, in Hanyang