← Colonization Test Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Frame of Government
- George Fox
- Covenant Chain
- a Document provided to Pennsylvania colony by William Penn which guaranteed a representative assembly elected by landowners in 1682-3
- b Non-English speaking immigrants who settled on Pennsylvania farmland, kept to themselves and continued to practice Lutheranism
- c the condition of being owned by another person and being made to work without wages, of having no rights. Quakers used a small number of these, though not with joy.
- d Negotiated by Sir Edmund Andros in 1677, it succeeded in creating an alliance between the English and the Iroquois in order to protect New England from the French
- e founded the of the Society of Friends, also known as Quakers in the 1650's
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Rebellion led by Jacob Leisler against the policies of King James II, 1689-1691
- government where the people elect an individual to represent them, Power is held by the people and exercised through the efforts of representatives elected by the people.
- Term used for 1688 deposing of James II and his being replaced by William and Mary
- Originally the Dutch capital city of New Netherlands, named New Amsterdam
- William Penn was a strong advocate of this system of Education in 1699. It is similar to the structure of modern day public schools
5 True/False Questions
Rice → staple crop of South Carolina, it was grown by African slaves becasue they had previous experience with it unlike their masters
colonial governors → 8 were appointed by the king (NH, MA, NY, NJ, VA, NC, SC, & GA), 3 by their proprietors (MD, PA, & DE) and two were elected (CT & RI)
Thomas Penn → His father was a great English Admiral of considerable wealth who respected but did not agree with the son's religious beliefs. Upon the father's death, the king gave this man a large territory in the British North American colonies to pay off a personal debt and allow Quakers to leave the country and live in a place where they would not be persecuted
The Middle Passage → Colony that was created by combining Providence and Portsmouth in 1644 via a charter from the king.
Philadelphia → was one of the most ethnically diverse cities of Colonial America. In Greek it means "brotherly love".