6 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- the streets of Ho Chi Minh City were a metaphor for this in "Cyclo"
- De Sica ___________ sexuality in "Bicycle Thieves" as symbolized by the removal of the bed sheets & ordinary clothes of the Communist dancer girls
- the song that plays when The Sister loses her innocence/virginity; only English song in "Cyclo"
- director of "Cyclo"
- cinematic style that feels as close to real-life as possible; NO fancy editing, NO complex dialogue, NO stylized production techniques, NO AUTEURSHIP by director
- the three major Italian film directors of post-WWII period
6 True/False questions
neorealism → emphasis on emotions rather than abstract ideas, documentary visual style, use of actual locations, refusal to make easy more judgments, nonprofessioinal actors
bicycle racing → one of the most popular sports in Italy, along with football
black market neighbors → said "I believe in imagination, but I more faith in reality, in people. Not interested in prearranged encounters, rather in the drama of things that happen to come together;" screenwriter of "Bicycle Thieves"
images → "What's important for me is to create ________, often, transitory, that are like icons with meaning." said by Tran Anh Hung about "Cyclo"
no plot → bicycle driver who transports people from place to place
cyclo → bicycle driver who transports people from place to place