6 Written questions
6 Multiple choice questions
- loose, meandering, episodic plot structure; gives film realistic, 'slice-of-life' feel; less dramatic than usual plot
- one of the most popular sports in Italy, along with football
- no explanations for violence; paired radically unusual film styles; "Cyclo" was described as this
- the physical, visual link between the mad son and the cyclo boy in "Cyclo"
- the song that plays when The Sister loses her innocence/virginity; only English song in "Cyclo"
- images of paint and blood are used to symbolize ___________ of the soul in "Cyclo"
6 True/False questions
class differences, consumerism → the streets of Ho Chi Minh City were a metaphor for this in "Cyclo"
De Sica, Visconti, Rossellini → the three major Italian film directors of post-WWII period
individualism → the one trait that sets Italian Neorealism & the Italian Renaissance apart from French, Russian, and German realism
de-emphasizes → De Sica ___________ sexuality in "Bicycle Thieves" as symbolized by the removal of the bed sheets & ordinary clothes of the Communist dancer girls
black market neighbors → director of "Cyclo"
neorealism → emphasis on emotions rather than abstract ideas, documentary visual style, use of actual locations, refusal to make easy more judgments, nonprofessioinal actors