5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Based on the research of Rosabeth Moss Kanter, what is meant by the term hidden corporate culture?
A) an organization's tendency to shift goals to perpetuate its existence
B) the placement of minorities in highly visible but powerless positions
C) the tendency to promote individuals to their level of incompetence
D) the values and beliefs of the corporation that shape employees' attitudes
- The crime with the highest increase among women between 1992 and 2005 was ________.
A) car theft
B) drug offenses
D) bank robbery
- According to Rosabeth Moss Kanter, why do "hidden values" exist in an organization?
A) to assist women and minorities in gaining promotions
B) as self-fulfilling stereotypes to direct the organization
C) as a means to promote teamwork
D) to help the organization be successful
- Which of the following research errors is less likely to be classified as fraud and more likely to be considered as simply sloppy work?
A) analyzing the data incorrectly
B) disregarding undesirable results
C) asking biased questions
D) choosing a biased sample
- Milgram's experiment involving the "small world phenomenon" utilized two groups. He referred to these two groups as the ________ and the ________.
A) primary; secondary
B) in-group; out-group
C) givers; takers
D) starters; targets
- a the values and beliefs of the corporation that shape employees' attitudes
- b starters; targets
- c as self-fulfilling stereotypes to direct the organization
- d car theft
- e analyzing the data incorrectly
5 Multiple choice questions
- group dynamics
- illegitimate opportunity structures
- the 1990s
- a bowl of clumpy oatmeal
5 True/False questions
Based on Merton's typologies, what do drug addicts, the homeless, nuns living in a convent, and monks living in a monastery have in common?
A) They all conformists.
B) They are all ritualists.
C) They are all rebels.
D) They are all retreatists. → Maine; South Carolina
It is believed by some sociologists that attempts to humanize the workplace are simply ways to manipulate workers into cooperating in their own exploitation. This belief is most aligned with the
A) symbolic interactionist
D) conflict → conflict
As voluntary organizations, what do the College Young Democrats, Kiwanis Club, Uptown Stamp
Collectors' Club, and National Rifle Association all have in common?
A) They all offer people an identity.
B) They all bring people into the political mainstream.
C) They are all primary groups.
D) They all generate social change. → the iron law of oligarchy
When a researcher focuses on a single event, situation, or individual, the resulting research is known as ________.
A) an experiment
B) secondary analysis
D) a case study → a case study
According to Kanter, organizations sometimes showcase women and minorities by placing them in highly visible positions to demonstrate how progressive they are. Regardless of the type of organization they are in, what do these highly visible positions usually have in common?
A) They are highly paid jobs directed toward "fast-track" promotions.
B) They are jobs with little power and minimal authority.
C) They are supervisory jobs with considerable power and autonomy.
D) They are highly competitive positions sought after by most members of the organization. → they all offer people an identity