5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- If a researcher is reading diaries to collect information about the attitudes of rape victims, he or she is using ________ to collect the data.
B) dramaturgical analysis
C) unstructured interviews
- According to sociologist Martín Sánchez-Jankowski, boys in urban areas are motivated to join
gangs for a number of reasons. Which of the following reasons LEAST qualifies as one of the reasons Jankowski discovered why urban youth join gangs?
A) to help the community
B) recreational opportunity
C) to escape broken homes
D) access to money
- All of the following acts qualify as a white collar crime EXCEPT for which one?
A) a police officer taking $100 to refrain from writing a speeding ticket
B) a businessperson classifying parking tickets as job hunting expenses on an income tax return
C) an executive writing off the corporationʹs million-dollar fine as investment capital
D) a bank teller robbing the First National bank
- What is another term used to describe the research method called participant observation?
B) content analysis
C) survey research
D) unobtrusive measures
- By a narrow margin, Dr. Moreau was elected chair of the largest academic department at Faber College. She appointed faculty members who support her views to the most influential and important committees in the department. This group of loyal colleagues, on which Dr. Moreau is relying to advance her policies, is an example of a(n) ________.
B) primary group
D) inner circle
- a inner circle
- b a police officer taking $100 to refrain from writing a speeding ticket
- c documents
- d to escape broken homes
- e fieldwork
5 Multiple choice questions
- a case study
- a multiple-choice exam
- correlation; temporal priority; lack of spurious correlation
- they are all retreatists
5 True/False questions
Steve and Naomi are counting the empty whiskey bottles in trashcans to measure the level of whiskey consumption in town. These researchers are using a method of research referred to as
A) survey research
C) participant observation
D) unobtrusive measures → unobtrusive measures
The early sociologist who argued that deviance might be functional for society was ________.
A) Henri Saint Simon
B) Karl Marx
C) Max Weber
D) Emile Durkheim → functionalists
Patti Sue is having difficulty adjusting to George, the new office supervisor. George is quite a "bean counter" and has shown a great deal of insensitivity toward everyone in the office. In view of this, what is the most likely course of action Patti Sue and the other office workers will take?
A) Patti Sue will contact a lawyer to discuss a class action lawsuit.
B) They will probably resign from their positions in protest.
C) The entire office staff will call in sick tomorrow.
D) All the affected office workers will develop a greater sense of social solidarity. → all the affected office workers will develop a greater sense of social solidarity
According to Cloward and Ohlin, what is the underlying cause of deviance and delinquency in unstable slums of a city?
A) a rival struggle for power
B) unethical police behavior
C) the racial composition of the city
D) illegitimate opportunity structures → illegitimate opportunity structures
Dr. Zimbardo is examining the effect that pornographic movies have on the ways in which single men respond to the needs of women. He has one group of men watch pornographic films and
another watch Three Stooges episodes. He then tests their reactions to women in need by showing them short film clips and following up with a series of questions. What research method is Dr. Zimbardo using?
A) participant observation
B) secondary analysis
C) the survey
D) the experiment → it is a spurious relationship