5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- If a researcher is reading diaries to collect information about the attitudes of rape victims, he or she is using ________ to collect the data.
B) dramaturgical analysis
C) unstructured interviews
- All of the following acts qualify as a white collar crime EXCEPT for which one?
A) a police officer taking $100 to refrain from writing a speeding ticket
B) a businessperson classifying parking tickets as job hunting expenses on an income tax return
C) an executive writing off the corporationʹs million-dollar fine as investment capital
D) a bank teller robbing the First National bank
- Which phrase best describes primary groups as Charles Cooley envisioned them?
A) the blessing of friendship
B) the cornerstone of self-development
C) the miracle of society
D) the springs of life
- Milgram's experiment involving the "small world phenomenon" utilized two groups. He referred to these two groups as the ________ and the ________.
A) primary; secondary
B) in-group; out-group
C) givers; takers
D) starters; targets
- Ritualistic procedures intended to humiliate norm violators and mark them as being moral
outcasts of the group to which they once belonged are called ________.
A) degradation ceremonies
- a a police officer taking $100 to refrain from writing a speeding ticket
- b documents
- c starters; targets
- d degradation ceremonies
- e the springs of life
5 Multiple choice questions
- it is a spurious relationship
- correlation; temporal priority; lack of spurious correlation
- a small work team in the design department has decided to fire one of the members of its department
- the Peter principle
5 True/False questions
Bob works at an automobile factory that organizes its workers into small groups that meet regularly to discuss ways to increase production and efficiency. Individual workers are often
singled out and recognized for their contributions to the organization. These are examples of attempts to ________.
A) increase the number of employees
B) increase profits by downsizing
C) humanize the work setting to develop employee potential
D) alienate the "deadbeats" in the corporation → humanize the work setting to develop employee potential
A(n) ________ leadership style has the tendency to encourage either aggressive or apathetic behavior among group members with aggressive members growing increasingly hostile towards their leader.
D) democratic → authoritarian
In experimental research, the variable that is the cause of change (the independent variable) must precede that which is changed (the dependent variable). This condition is called ________.
A) random selection
D) temporal priority → control
Based on the 2009 edition of the Statistical Abstract in the United States, the state with the lowest rate of violent crime in America is ________, while the state with the highest rate of violent crime is ________.
A) Montana; New Jersey
B) Wyoming; New York
C) Colorado; California
D) Maine; South Carolina → a small work team in the design department has decided to fire one of the members of its department
Jarod is conducting research on the homeless. For six weeks, he has lived among the homeless "24/7," sleeping on the street or at a shelter, and engaging in the same activities as the population he is studying. By doing so, Jarod has been able to gather a broad understanding of the homeless, their needs, and characteristics. In view of this, Jarod is using ________ as a method of gathering
A) representative sampling
B) content analysis
C) secondary analysis
D) participant observation → she is using a biased sample to collect her data