5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- In experimental research, the variable that is the cause of change (the independent variable) must precede that which is changed (the dependent variable). This condition is called ________.
A) random selection
D) temporal priority
- There is a high correlation between the number of Americans who pay income tax in the month of April and the number of swimsuits sold. Which of the following statements is the best description
of this relationship?
A) It is an indirect relationship.
B) It is a cause-and-effect relationship.
C) It is a spurious relationship.
D) It is classified as a null hypothesis.
- In an effort to resist the label of "deviant," most people will develop rationales to justify their
deviant acts. Sykes and Matza refer to these rationales as ________.
A) techniques of neutralization
C) strategies of justification
- Based on the research of Rosabeth Moss Kanter, what is meant by the term hidden corporate culture?
A) an organization's tendency to shift goals to perpetuate its existence
B) the placement of minorities in highly visible but powerless positions
C) the tendency to promote individuals to their level of incompetence
D) the values and beliefs of the corporation that shape employees' attitudes
- The three conditions necessary for causation between variables are ________, ________, and ________.
A) correlation; temporal priority; lack of spurious correlation
B) negative correlation; spurious correlation; correlation coefficient
C) temporal priority; negative correlation; positive correlation
D) correlation coefficient; temporal priority; positive correlation
- a correlation; temporal priority; lack of spurious correlation
- b it is a spurious relationship
- c techniques of neutralization
- d temporal priority
- e the values and beliefs of the corporation that shape employees' attitudes
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- car theft
- they all offer people an identity
- inner circle
- six degrees of separation
5 True/False Questions
Because of our sense of belonging and loyalty to in-groups, we often judge our own group's traits as virtues, but view the same traits in other groups as vices. This judgment of superiority is an example of ________.
A) a lack of judgment
B) subcultural relativity
D) a double standard → a double-standard
Milgram's experiment involving the "small world phenomenon" utilized two groups. He referred to these two groups as the ________ and the ________.
A) primary; secondary
B) in-group; out-group
C) givers; takers
D) starters; targets → bureaucracies
What is the greatest flaw in using self-administered questionnaires for a research study?
A) They are labor-intensive.
B) They can be administered only to small groups.
C) They are expensive compared to other research techniques.
D) They cause the researcher to lose control of the data collection. → it often leads to findings that lack generalizability
Cloward and Ohlin addressed the street hustler as a role model for youth and the methods used to earn easy money through a life of crime. What did they call this career path of delinquency?
A) illegitimate opportunity structure
B) containment theory
C) the theory of differential association
D) social bond theory → reference groups
Bob works at an automobile factory that organizes its workers into small groups that meet regularly to discuss ways to increase production and efficiency. Individual workers are often
singled out and recognized for their contributions to the organization. These are examples of attempts to ________.
A) increase the number of employees
B) increase profits by downsizing
C) humanize the work setting to develop employee potential
D) alienate the "deadbeats" in the corporation → voluntary associations