5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- There are New York Yankee fans in every state in America, throughout Canada, and in nations all over the world. Sociologically, which concept best describes these fans?
A) They are an aggregate.
B) They are a category.
C) They are a group.
D) They are a social group.
- A(n) ________ leadership style has the tendency to encourage either aggressive or apathetic behavior among group members with aggressive members growing increasingly hostile towards their leader.
- When the former Soviet Union collapsed, NATO forces were no longer needed to protect Europe from a communist invasion. Rather than disband NATO, it was turned into a "rapid response
force" to fight terrorism. Sociologists would call this shift in focus an example of ________.
A) bureaucratic ritualism
B) the Peter principle
C) the Thomas theorem
D) goal displacement
- What is the major problem with using participant observation as a research tool?
A) It is unacceptable based on standards of the American Sociological Association.
B) It lacks both validity and reliability.
C) It is highly biased.
D) It often leads to findings that lack generalizability
- According to Kanter, organizations sometimes showcase women and minorities by placing them in highly visible positions to demonstrate how progressive they are. Regardless of the type of organization they are in, what do these highly visible positions usually have in common?
A) They are highly paid jobs directed toward "fast-track" promotions.
B) They are jobs with little power and minimal authority.
C) They are supervisory jobs with considerable power and autonomy.
D) They are highly competitive positions sought after by most members of the organization.
- a it often leads to findings that lack generalizability
- b they are jobs with little power and minimal authority
- c goal displacement
- d they are a social group
- e authoritarian
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- the Peter principle
- unobtrusive measures
- resist alienation
- the graduating class of a large university
- the starting nine on a baseball team
5 True/False Questions
A group characterized by intimate, long-term, face-to-face association and cooperation is referred to as a ________.
B) primary group
C) secondary group
D) community → primary group
Based on the research of Rosabeth Moss Kanter, what is meant by the term hidden corporate culture?
A) an organization's tendency to shift goals to perpetuate its existence
B) the placement of minorities in highly visible but powerless positions
C) the tendency to promote individuals to their level of incompetence
D) the values and beliefs of the corporation that shape employees' attitudes → this is an example of an open-ended question
According to strain theory, the underlying cause of deviance is that people experience a sense of normlessness. This sense of normlessness is referred to as ________.
C) latent dysfunction
D) mass hysteria → dyad
If a secondary group does not satisfy one's need for intimate association, which of the following is most likely to occur?
A) The secondary group will break down into primary groups.
B) The secondary group will develop into a reference group.
C) The secondary group will develop into an out-group.
D) The individual will cease to exist. → the secondary group will break down into primary groups
Because of our sense of belonging and loyalty to in-groups, we often judge our own group's traits as virtues, but view the same traits in other groups as vices. This judgment of superiority is an example of ________.
A) a lack of judgment
B) subcultural relativity
D) a double standard → a double-standard