5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Which Frenchman toured America in the early nineteenth century, noting the many voluntary
organizations in which Americans held membership and documenting these findings in his book,
Democracy in America?
A) Pierre DuPont
B) Alexander Maconochie
C) Philippe Pinel
D) Alexis de Tocqueville
- Organizing a workplace in such a way that it develops rather than impedes human potential is known as ________.
A) humanizing a work setting
B) empowering workers
C) restructuring a workplace
D) instilling employee loyalty
- Every research method has its drawbacks. Which method often leads the current researcher to question the manner in which the data were gathered, the accuracy of the data, and the training of the original researchers?
A) secondary analysis
C) participant observation
- A(n) ________ leadership style has the tendency to encourage either aggressive or apathetic behavior among group members with aggressive members growing increasingly hostile towards their leader.
- In her study of 47 corporations, what was the relationship that Rosabeth Moss Kanter discovered between the flexibility of a corporation and corporate profit?
A) Kanter discovered that the relationship was direct, showing that greater flexibility increases profits.
B) Kanter discovered a spurious relationship existed between the two variables.
C) Kanter discovered that the relationship was indirect, indicating flexibility created duplication and waste.
D) Kanter discovered a null relationship existed between the two variables.
- a humanizing a work setting
- b secondary analysis
- c Kanter discovered that the relationship was direct, showing that greater flexibility increases profits
- d authoritarian
- e Alexis de Tocqueville
5 Multiple choice questions
- the secondary group will break down into primary groups
- interviewer bias
- all members of the group can interact directly with one another
- minorities, immigrants, and women
5 True/False questions
While conducting research on domestic abuse, Tanya asked workers at a battered women's shelter, "What do you think causes some men to abuse their wives?" She then permitted the workers to elaborate on their answers. What is the term used to describe such a question, one that leads to this
type of answering option?
A) This is an example of an open-ended question.
B) The question and answer are a part of secondary analysis.
C) The question and answer are examples of generalizability in research.
D) This is an example of a closed-ended question → this is an example of an open-ended question
What is the greatest flaw in using self-administered questionnaires for a research study?
A) They are labor-intensive.
B) They can be administered only to small groups.
C) They are expensive compared to other research techniques.
D) They cause the researcher to lose control of the data collection. → all members of the group can interact directly with one another
A researcher is asking questions of a serious nature, and a respondent gives only "socially
acceptable" answers. This is an example of ________.
A) interviewer bias
B) research fraud
C) research bias
D) poor sample selection → secondary analysis
The crime with the highest increase among women between 1992 and 2005 was ________.
A) car theft
B) drug offenses
D) bank robbery → the iron law of oligarchy
The significance of names or reputations given to people when they engage in certain types of behavior is the focus of ________ theory.
C) differential association
D) strain → labeling