5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- G.F. Handel
- Church Cantatas
- The Four Seasons
- a Liturgical themes, performed in chruch on Sundays
- b Most important center of Italian violin music
- c Written by Vivaldi, one concerti for each season of the year
- d Gave many concers, made lots of money, made annual performances for charity
- e Simple tune, steady rhythm, sung in unison by the congregation
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Series funded by multiple subcriptions
- Grandeur, depth, and technical mastery
- One of the most influentional musicians; Wrote most of his music "to order" , to fulfill the requirements of a job. Never wrote an opera, but several cantatas. Director of music at St. Thomas's Chruch. Held position in Leizpeg town.
- Best known for short opera: Dido and Aeneas
- Composer who brings Italian violin music to internationl prominence.
5 True/False Questions
Late Baroque → Time of well-known master and fixed musical forms
Sonatas → Smaller in scale than concerto; less dependent on contrast
Chamber Cantatas → Secular, stories of love.
Cantatas → Short unstaged operas; written for instruments and one or two voices
Vivaldi → Most distinctive musical feature of the Protestant service