5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- which of the following states represents the development if Bantu concepts of kingship and state-building?
- Which of the following statements concerning political and religious universality in Africa is most accurate?
- what was the function of secret societies in African culture
- what was the form of political organization of the yoruba people of Nigeria?
- What does the phrase "equality before God and inequality within the world" mean?
- a the yoruba were organized in a number of small city-states under the authority of regional kings
- b the Islamic emphasis on equality in the eyes of God
- c Neither universal states nor universal religion characterized Africa, but both Christianity and Islam did find adherents in Africa.
- d because their membership cut across lineage divisions, they acted to maintain stability within the community and diminish clan feuds
- e kingdom of Kongo
5 Multiple choice questions
- rulers that extended the boundries of the empires, so that by the mid-16th century, Songhai dominated central Sudan
- systems of writing
- Mail possessed "port cities" along the Niger River sich as Jenne and Timbuktu, which flourished both commerciallly and culturally
- Islam accommodated pagan practice and belief in the early stages of conversion, because rulership and authority was still based on the ability to intercede with local spirits.
- a moral code based on one supreme god
5 True/False questions
The Sahel refers to the → grassland belt at the southern edge of the Sahara that served as a point of exchange between the forests of the south and north Africa.
The study of population is referred to as → demography
Political and religious universatility in Africa → Africa never totally isolated from Mediterranean
what ruler is responsible for the creation of songhay empire? → Invasion by a Moroccan Muslim army equipped with firearms, following by internal revolts
What region of Africa was first converted to Islam by 700 C.E.? → Sub-Saharan Africa