5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Songhai was originally part of which African empire?
- What region of Africa was first converted to Islam by 700 C.E.?
- In what region was the influence of Islam most profound?
- what was the form of political organization of the yoruba people of Nigeria?
- What is mwene mutapa
- a Sub-Saharan Africa
- b the yoruba were organized in a number of small city-states under the authority of regional kings
- c title the king took
- d North Africa
- e Mali
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The Berbers, native desert dwellers of North Africa
- disparities between the technologies and ideologies of Europeans and Africans also created differences in the ways in which their societies developed
- grassland belt at the southern edge of the Sahara that served as a point of exchange between the forests of the south and north Africa.
- Islam accommodated pagan practice and belief in the early stages of conversion, because rulership and authority was still based on the ability to intercede with local spirits.
5 True/False Questions
Which of the following statements concerning political and religious universality in Africa is most accurate? → Neither universal states nor universal religion characterized Africa, but both Christianity and Islam did find adherents in Africa.
How did contact with the Muslim world affect the African slave trade? → Mali
What is an Askia? → rulers that extended the boundries of the empires, so that by the mid-16th century, Songhai dominated central Sudan
What does the phrase "equality before God and inequality within the world" mean? → the Islamic emphasis on equality in the eyes of God
Between 800 and 1500 as the frequency and intensity of contact with the outside world increased, which of the following had the most significant impact on sub-Saharan Africa? → The arrival of Islam