5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Clean Air Act, 1970
- Administrative Procedure Act, 1946
- War Powers resolution, 1973
- Equal Pay Act of 1963
- Pendleton Act, 1883
- a Prohibits unequal pay for men and women for the same job.
- b Set up Civil Service Commission to fill government jobs based on merit rather than patronage.
- c Established procedures for federal agencies to issue regulations (public notice, public comment period, public hearings).
- d Established new standards for ambient air quality, set new limits on emissions from stationary and mobile sources to be enforced by both state and federal governments, and increased funds for air pollution research; soon discovered that the deadlines set were overly ambitious (especially those for auto emissions). Deadlines were extended and revised over the next 10 years.
- e Requires president to notify Congress within 48 hours of sending troops into hostile situation; if Congress does not approve the action within 60 days, the troops must be brought home within an additional 30 days. Passed over President Nixon's veto in 1973; every president since then has regarded it as unconstitutional. Can be seen as an attempt on the part of Congress to take back some of its power to determine when to go to war (as it says in the Constitution), but it has been a failed attempt; in actuality, it codifies that the president can send troops for 48 hours without Congress's permission.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Created Social Security System still in use today, which provides old age benefits for retirees, disability, and survivor benefits for spouses and children. Also created Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC), which was the welfare system until 1996, and unemployment insurance.
- Civil Rights Act of 1968 Title VIII is technical name of this legislation. Prohibits discrimination against any person because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin in the sale, rental, leasing, financing and advertising of housing.
- Provides a system for the public to obtain government records, as long as they do not invade individuals' privacy, reveal trade secrets, or endanger military security.
- Act establishing basic structure of federal courts still in use today; necessitated by vagueness of Article III (only court specified is Supreme Court)
- This law is designed to protect critically imperiled species from extinction due to "the consequences of economic growth and development untempered by adequate concern and conservation."
5 True/False Questions
Civil Rights Act of 1957 → Outlawed discrimination in public accommodations (any business open to the public). Supreme Court upheld law under the Commerce Clause.
Voting Rights Act of 1965 → Outlawed discrimination in public accommodations (any business open to the public). Supreme Court upheld law under the Commerce Clause.
Civil Rights Act of 1871 → Main purpose was to protect southern blacks from the Ku Klux Klan by providing a civil remedy for abuses then being committed in the South.
Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798 → Created Social Security System still in use today, which provides old age benefits for retirees, disability, and survivor benefits for spouses and children. Also created Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC), which was the welfare system until 1996, and unemployment insurance.
Presidential Succession Act of 1947 → Designated order of succession should a president die in office or resign; after Vice President, the order is: Speaker of the House; President Pro Tem of the Senate; Secretary of State; followed by all other cabinet secretaries in the order in which their departments were created.