5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- National Environment Policy Act, 1969
- Hatch Act, 1939
- Presidential Succession Act of 1947
- Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798
- Civil Rights Act of 1964
- a Requires an Environmental Impact Statement be produced before a major government project is undertaken.
- b Designated order of succession should a president die in office or resign; after Vice President, the order is: Speaker of the House; President Pro Tem of the Senate; Secretary of State; followed by all other cabinet secretaries in the order in which their departments were created.
- c Outlawed discrimination in public accommodations (any business open to the public). Supreme Court upheld law under the Commerce Clause.
- d Authorized the president to imprison (or deport) any alien from an enemy nation (one the United States was fighting), or any alien considered dangerous; made it a crime to publish "false, scandalous, and malicious writing" against the government or its officials. No aliens were actually deported, and only 10 people were convicted of sedition; they were all pardoned by Jefferson when he became president in 1801.
- e Main provision was to prohibit civil service employees from engaging in political activities. They may not: use official authority or influence to interfere with an election; solicit or discourage political activity of anyone with business before their agency; solicit or receive political; be candidates for public office in partisan elections; engage in political activity while on duty; in a government office; wearing an official uniform; using a government vehicle; also may not wear partisan political buttons on duty.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Set up Civil Service Commission to fill government jobs based on merit rather than patronage.
- Provides a system for the public to obtain government records, as long as they do not invade individuals' privacy, reveal trade secrets, or endanger military security.
- Requires both houses of Congress to approve president's decision not to spend funds as appropriated (rescission); also unifies congressional budget process with goal of restraining spending.
- Main purpose was to protect southern blacks from the Ku Klux Klan by providing a civil remedy for abuses then being committed in the South.
- Technically known as the Social Security Act Amendments of 1965; created system of subsidized medical care for retirees, both for doctor visits and hospitalization, though not for prescription drugs (added under President Bush in 2004). Also created Medicaid, which provides medical care for the very poor.
5 True/False Questions
Judiciary Act of 1789 → Act establishing basic structure of federal courts still in use today; necessitated by vagueness of Article III (only court specified is Supreme Court)
Administrative Procedure Act, 1946 → Established procedures for federal agencies to issue regulations (public notice, public comment period, public hearings).
War Powers resolution, 1973 → Established new standards for ambient air quality, set new limits on emissions from stationary and mobile sources to be enforced by both state and federal governments, and increased funds for air pollution research; soon discovered that the deadlines set were overly ambitious (especially those for auto emissions). Deadlines were extended and revised over the next 10 years.
Higher Education Act of 1972 (Title IX) → Technically known as the Social Security Act Amendments of 1965; created system of subsidized medical care for retirees, both for doctor visits and hospitalization, though not for prescription drugs (added under President Bush in 2004). Also created Medicaid, which provides medical care for the very poor.
Social Security Act of 1935 → Created Social Security System still in use today, which provides old age benefits for retirees, disability, and survivor benefits for spouses and children. Also created Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC), which was the welfare system until 1996, and unemployment insurance.