5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Civil Rights Act of 1871
- Voting Rights Act of 1965
- Social Security Act of 1935
- Clean Air Act, 1970
- Endangered species Act, 1973
- a Main purpose was to protect southern blacks from the Ku Klux Klan by providing a civil remedy for abuses then being committed in the South.
- b Established new standards for ambient air quality, set new limits on emissions from stationary and mobile sources to be enforced by both state and federal governments, and increased funds for air pollution research; soon discovered that the deadlines set were overly ambitious (especially those for auto emissions). Deadlines were extended and revised over the next 10 years.
- c Allowed federal government to enforce voting rights in states which had a history of voting discrimination. Black registration rates increased dramatically in the years following passage.
- d This law is designed to protect critically imperiled species from extinction due to "the consequences of economic growth and development untempered by adequate concern and conservation."
- e Created Social Security System still in use today, which provides old age benefits for retirees, disability, and survivor benefits for spouses and children. Also created Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC), which was the welfare system until 1996, and unemployment insurance.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Authorized the president to imprison (or deport) any alien from an enemy nation (one the United States was fighting), or any alien considered dangerous; made it a crime to publish "false, scandalous, and malicious writing" against the government or its officials. No aliens were actually deported, and only 10 people were convicted of sedition; they were all pardoned by Jefferson when he became president in 1801.
- Main provision was to prohibit civil service employees from engaging in political activities. They may not: use official authority or influence to interfere with an election; solicit or discourage political activity of anyone with business before their agency; solicit or receive political; be candidates for public office in partisan elections; engage in political activity while on duty; in a government office; wearing an official uniform; using a government vehicle; also may not wear partisan political buttons on duty.
- Requires an Environmental Impact Statement be produced before a major government project is undertaken.
- Designated order of succession should a president die in office or resign; after Vice President, the order is: Speaker of the House; President Pro Tem of the Senate; Secretary of State; followed by all other cabinet secretaries in the order in which their departments were created.
- Aim was to increase number of blacks who were allowed to vote in southern states; enforcement was so weak that it was ineffective.
5 True/False questions
Equal Pay Act of 1963 → Prohibits unequal pay for men and women for the same job.
Federal Fair Housing Act of 1968 → Outlawed discrimination in public accommodations (any business open to the public). Supreme Court upheld law under the Commerce Clause.
Administrative Procedure Act, 1946 → Established procedures for federal agencies to issue regulations (public notice, public comment period, public hearings).
Pendleton Act, 1883 → Set up Civil Service Commission to fill government jobs based on merit rather than patronage.
Freedom of Information Act, 1966 → Established new standards for ambient air quality, set new limits on emissions from stationary and mobile sources to be enforced by both state and federal governments, and increased funds for air pollution research; soon discovered that the deadlines set were overly ambitious (especially those for auto emissions). Deadlines were extended and revised over the next 10 years.